The Millennia Credit Card by HDFC, as the name suggests, is targeted at young professionals, most of whom are millennials. It is a cashback-based card and one of the most popular credit cards by HDFC Bank in the entry to mid-level segment. The card comes with a membership fee of Rs. 1,000 per annum, and apart from earning cashback, offers a number of other add-on benefits including complimentary lounge access at domestic airports across India and a complimentary Dineout Passport membership.
Before we discuss how you can make the most out of your HDFC Millennia Credit Card, it is a good idea to first have a look at some of the key features of the Card.
HDFC Millennia Credit Card Key Features
- The cashback earned on HDFC Millennia Credit Card is credited as CashPoints on the credit card account. These CashPoints can be redeemed against the card’s statement balance, partner airlines’ AirMiles, flight/hotel bookings and product catalog. The CashPoints earned are valid for a period of 2 years from the date of accrual.
- You get 1,000 CashPoints as a welcome benefit on joining the card membership upon realization of the first year’s membership fee.
- You earn a cashback of 5% on spends with your HDFC Millennia Credit Card at select partner merchants including Amazon, BookMyShow, Cult.fit, Flipkart, Myntra, Sony LIV, Swiggy, Tata CLiQ, Uber and Zomato. A maximum of 1,000 CashPoints can be earned at these partner merchants at the 5% reward rate.
- You earn a cashback of 1% on all other transactions (including EMI and wallet transactions) except fuel purchases. The maximum cashback that can be earned at 1% reward rate is also capped at Rs. 1,000 in a given statement cycle.
- You are entitled to gift vouchers worth Rs. 1,000 on a minimum quarterly expenditure of Rs. 1 lakh.
- You get a discount of 20% at partner restaurants with complimentary membership of the Dineout passport restaurant loyalty program.
- You also get 8 complimentary lounge access (max 2 per quarter) at domestic airports across India.
- The annual fee of Rs. 1,000 is waived off on the expenditure of a minimum of Rs. 1 lakh in the preceding membership year.
- For detailed information on HDFC Millennia Credit Card, you may refer to this article.
Maximize the Benefits on HDFC Millennia Credit Card
A maximum of 2,000 CashPoints can be earned on HDFC Millennia Credit Card in a given statement cycle- 1,000 CashPoints at 5% rate and another 1,000 CashPoints at 1% rate. Therefore, for maximum benefit in the 5% category, you must spend a minimum of Rs. 20,000 at partner merchants (Amazon, BookMyShow, Cult.fit, Flipkart, Myntra, Sony LIV, Swiggy, Tata CLiQ, Uber and Zomato) where you get a cashback of 5%. For maximum benefit in the 1% category, you must spend a minimum of Rs. 1 lakh on other categories of purchases. However, since 1% cashback is too little, we will not be considering it for our calculation of the minimum expenditure requirement for maximum benefit.
The following table demonstrates the minimum expenditure required on the various categories of spends-
|Spends Category||Minimum Expenditure for Maximum Benefit|
|Monthly expenditure required at Partner Merchants (5% cashback)- Amazon, BookMyShow, Cult.fit, Flipkart, Myntra, Sony LIV, Swiggy, Tata CLiQ, Uber and Zomato- for maximum benefit||Rs. 20,000|
|Minimum annual expenditure required for 4 gift vouchers worth Rs. 1,000 each||Rs. 4 lakh|
|Minimum annual expenditure required at partner merchants for maximum cashback||Rs. 2,40,000|
|Minimum Annual expenditure at other merchants for maximum benefit||Rs. 1,60,000|
Maximum Benefit on HDFC Millennia Credit Card
The maximum benefit that you can avail of every year on your HDFC Millennia Credit is summarised in the table below-
|Total Cashback per annum at 5% rate||Rs. 12,000|
|Total cashback per annum at 1% rate||Rs. 1,600|
|Total cashback per annum||Rs. 13,600|
|Gift Voucher (per annum)||Rs. 4,000 (4 x Rs. 1,000)|
|Annual Fee Waiver||Rs. 1,000|
|Total monetary benefit per annum||Rs. 18,600|
|Other Benefits||8 complimentary domestic lounge access per annum (max 2 per quarter), 20% discount at partner restaurants with complimentary Dineout Passport membership|
So a total expenditure of a minimum of Rs. 4 lakh per annum is required to earn maximum cashback (13,600 CashPoints = Rs. 13,600) on your HDFC Millennia Credit Card. On top of the cashback, you also get a gift voucher worth Rs. 1,000 every quarter and a 100% waiver on the annual fee of Rs. 1,000, making the net reward rate of the card 4.65%.
As you can see, HDFC Millennia Credit Card offers you quite a high reward rate of 4.65% if you spend Rs. 4 lakh in a year along with add-on privileges like complimentary airport lounge access and Dineout Passport membership. It is worth noting that partner merchants at which you earn the cashback at 5% rate include big names like Amazon, Flipkart and BookMyShow.
If you compare the reward rate of the Millennia Credit Card with the likes of Amazon Pay ICICI Card and Flipkart Axis Bank Credit Card which also offer a reward rate of 5% at Amazon and Flipkart respectively, HDFC Millennia Credit Card seems a bit more rewarding as there are more partner merchants that earn you accelerated cashback, plus, you also get other benefits like complimentary domestic airport lounge access and Dineout Passport membership with HDFC Millennia Credit Card.