HDFC Bank Millennia Credit Card is a Cashback credit card that targets the Gen-Y – the ‘90s kids or the millennials. The HDFC Millennia card is offered in four variants- Visa variant, MasterCard variant, Diners Club variant and RuPay variant. It is an entry-level credit card and comes with an annual fee of Rs. 1,000 (taxes extra).
Keeping its target customers in mind, HDFC Bank offers a 5% cashback on Amazon, BookMyShow, Cult.fit, Flipkart, Myntra, Sony LIV, Swiggy, Tata CLiQ, Uber and Zomato and 1% cashback on all other online and offline spends. The cashback is processed as CashPoints which can be redeemed against the card’s statement balance, for flight/hotel reservations or for purchasing products from the HDFC product catalog.
Apart from the cashback, you also get complimentary lounge visits at domestic airports across the country. Read on to learn more about the Millennia Credit Card by HDFC Bank.
HDFC Bank Millennia Credit Card
Best Suited For
Rs. 1,000 (plus applicable taxes)
- 1,000 CashPoints as a welcome benefit on card setup (subject to realization of the joining fee).
- 5% cashback at select partner online merchants including popular e-commerce websites like Amazon and Flipkart.
- Complimentary Dineout Passport membership for the first three months of card membership.
- 8 complimentary lounge visits every year (max 2 per quarter) at all domestic airports across India.
- Annual renewal fee is waived off if Rs. 1,00,000 were spent in the previous year.
Rewards and Benefits
1,000 CashPoints as a Welcome Benefit.
Movie & Dining
Up to 20% discount at partner restaurants with complimentary Dineout Passport membership
5% cashback (as CashPoints) at select partner online merchants and 1% cashback (as CashPoints) on all other spends (except fuel)
Rewards processed as CashPoints, 1 CP = Re. 1 for redemption against statement balance and 1 CP = Re. 0.30 for redemption against flight/hotel bookings, product catalogue, etc.
Complimentary airport lounge access every year.
Domestic Lounge Access
8 complimentary domestic airport lounge access every year (2 every quarter).
International Lounge Access
Zero Liability Protection
Cardholder not liable for any fraudulent transaction on the card post reporting the loss of card to the bank
Fees & Charges
Rs. 1,000 (plus applicable taxes)
Rs. 1,000 (plus applicable taxes).
Spend based Waiver
Annual renewal fee waived off on expenditure of a minimum of Rs. 1 lakh in the previous year
Rewards Redemption Fee
Rs. 99 per redemption request (plus applicable taxes)
Rewards Redemption Fee
Rs. 99 per redemption request (plus applicable taxes)
Foreign Currency Markup
3.5% (plus applicable taxes)
3.6% per month (or 43.2% per annum)
1% Fuel surcharge which is waived if you spend minimum Rs 400 in single transaction. The maximum CashBack is capped at Rs. 250 per payment cycle.
Cash Advance Charge
2.5% of the transaction amount, subject to a minimum fee of Rs. 500
Add-on Card Fee
HDFC Millennia Credit Card: The Most Popular Cashback Credit Card
HDFC Millennia Credit Card is the most popular and perhaps the best cashback credit card currently available in the Indian credit card market. What makes this card so popular is not only its high reward rate (up to 5% cashback as CashPoints on shopping at popular merchants like Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra, etc.) but also the high rate of redemption of Cash Points as cashback i.e. adjustment against the card’s statement balance- 1 CashPoint = Re. 1 on adjustment against the card’s outstanding balance.
As the card gives you a reward rate of 5% on Amazon and Flipkart, you are essentially getting the benefit of both Amazon Pay ICICI as well as Flipkart Axis Bank Credit Cards (and much more) in one card.
The recently launched HDFC MoneyBack+ Credit Card is also a cashback-based credit card, but the redemption rate of CashPoints on MoneyBack+ card is 1/4th that of HDFC Millennia Card (1 CP = Rs. 0.25). Another point that makes this credit card the most popular cashback credit card is that the monthly max capping on the cashback that can be earned on HDFC Millennia card is higher than most other cashback cards- 2,000 CashPoints per month (1,000 CashPoints at accelerated rate and 1,000 CashPoints at normal rate).
HDFC Millennia Credit Card Features and Benefits
Apart from the cashback benefit, HDFC Millennia Credit Card also offers many other benefits to the cardhoders. The benefits include bonus CashPoints as a welcome gift, complimentary airport lounge access, dining discounts, and many more.
You get 1,000 bonus CashPoints as a welcome benefit on the successful realization of the joining fee.
- You get 8 complimentary domestic lounge access every year with a maximum cap of 2 lounge visits per quarter.
- With the diners club variant, you get 2 complimentary international lounge access every quarter with the Diners Club international lounge program.
Up to 20% discount at partner restaurants with Dineout Passport (applicable only for the first 3 months of card membership).
Fuel Surcharge Waiver
1% of the fuel surcharge is waived on a minimum payment of Rs. 400 at all petrol stations across India (maximum waived amount is capped at Rs. 250 per payment cycle).
Joining and Renewal Fee Waiver
- The annual fee of Rs. 1,000 is waived off on the expenditure of a minimum of Rs. 1 lakh in the previous year.
- Condition to make your HDFC Millennia Credit Card lifetime free: Activate one of SmartPay or One Assist or General Insurance or Balance Transfer on your card within the first 90 days after the card set up date and renew every year (any one product and one bill through SmartPay or two products/two bills via SmartPay).
HDFC Millennia Credit Card Reward Points/Cashback:
The cashback earned on HDFC Millennia Credit Card is posted as CashPoints to the card account. These CashPoints can be redeemed against a variety of options (details below) including cashback (adjustment against the due balance on the card). HDFC Millennia Card earns you-
- A cashback of 5% on partner online merchants- Amazon, BookMyShow, Cult.fit, Flipkart, Myntra, Sony LIV, Swiggy, Tata CLiQ, Uber and Zomato.
- 1% Cashback on all other online and offline spends including fuel purchases.
The CashPoints earned under the 5% and 1% categories are capped at 1,000 CashPoints per statement cycle each (max 2,000 CashPoints can be earned in a given statement cycle).
HDFC Millennia Credit Card Reward Points / Cashback Redemption
- As mentioned earlier, the cashback earned on HDFC Millennia Credit Card is credited as CashPoints to the card account at the end of the statement cycle. The CashPoints earned can be redeemed for a variety of options including cashback (adjustment against the card’s statement balance), flight/hotel bookings via SmartBuy, product purchases from the bank’s catalog of products and partner airlines’ AirMiles.
|Value of CashPoints on Redemption|
|Product Catalog||Flights/Hotels on Smartbuy||Cashback||Airmiles|
|Rs. 0.30||Rs. 0.30||Re. 1||0.30 AirMiles|
- A minimum of 500 CashPoints are required for redemption against the card’s statement balance.
- CashPoints are valid only for 2 years and expire thereafter.
- HDFC Bank charges a redemption fee of Rs. 99 for every redemption request you make.
HDFC Millennia Credit Card Fees and Charges
- Annual Fee: You have to pay an annual fee of Rs 1,000 for HDFC Millennia Credit Card membership. The annual fee is waived off on spending a minimum of Rs. 1 lac in the preceding year.
- Interest Rate: An interest rate of 3.6% per month (or 42.3% annually) is applicable on the due amount on the card’s statement if you are unable to clear all your dues by the payment due date.
- Foreign Currency Mark-up: A mark-up fee of 3.5% of the transaction amount is applicable on all foreign currency transactions made with the card.
- Cash Withdrawal Fee: A cash withdrawal fee of 2.5% of the withdrawn amount is applicable on all cash withdrawals made with the card at ATMs.
- Late Payment Fee: If you are unable to clear all your dues by the payment due date, apart from the interest rate, a late payment fee shall also be applicable as per the following slab-
|Statement Balance||Late Payment Fee|
|Less than Rs. 100||Nil|
|Rs. 100 – Rs. 500||Rs. 100|
|Rs. 501 – Rs. 5,000||Rs. 500|
|Rs. 5,001 – Rs. 10,000||Rs. 600|
|Rs. 10,001 – Rs. 25,000||Rs. 800|
|Rs. 25,001 – Rs. 50,000||Rs. 1,100|
|More than Rs. 50,000||Rs. 1,300|
Advantages of HDFC Millennia Credit Card
- You get a really high cashback of 5% at partner merchants including big names like Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra, Swiggy, Zomato, Uber and a few other popular brands.
- Apart from the cashback benefit, you are also entitled to 8 complimentary lounge access at domestic airports across India- a benefit that you do not get with most entry-level credit cards.
- You also earn a cashback of 1% on fuel purchases made with HDFC Millennia Credit Card while many other credit cards do not offer any cashback/rewards on fuel spends.
Drawbacks of HDFC Millennia Credit Card
- The cashback earned on all other online/offline spends with the card- spends at non-partner merchants- is just 1%.
- A max capping of 1,000 CashPoints per statement cycle is applicable on CashPoints earned at the 5X accelerated rate, while you can earn another 1,000 CashPoints on the card at the normal 1X rate in a given statement cycle. A total of a maximum of 2,000 CashPoints can be earned in a statement cycle, which is equivalent to a cashback of Rs. 2,000.
Who Should Sign Up for HDFC Millennia Card?
The HDFC Millennia card, as the name itself suggests, should be the card of choice for young professionals who plan to begin their credit journey and build a strong credit profile. HDFC Bank, keeping its target customers in mind, offers extra benefits on shopping from partner websites including Amazon and Flipkart.
Eligibility Criteria for HDFC Millennia Credit Card
The following table illustrates the income-based and age-based eligibility criteria for HDFC Bank Millennia Credit Card-
|Criteria||Salaried Employees||Self-Employed Individuals|
|Age||21-60 Years||21-65 years|
|Income||Minimum Rs. 35,000 per month||Minimum Rs. 6,00,000 per annum (as per ITR)|
How to Apply for HDFC Millennia Credit Card:
You can apply for HDFC Bank credit cards online on the bank’s official website. You need to-
- visit the HDFC credit cards page on the bank’s official site.
- Click/tap on the “Sign Up” button under the Millennia Credit Card.
- You will be redirected to HDFC’s credit card application page where you will need to fill up a form so that your application may be submitted.
The following documents are required to be submitted to the bank for your Millennia Credit Card application to be processed-
|Document Type||Accepted Documents|
|Id Proof||Aadhar Card, Voter ID Card, PAN Card, Passport, Driving Liscence, etc.|
|Address Proof||Voter Card, Aadhar Card, Electricity/Telephone Bill, Passport, Driving License, etc.|
|Income Proof||Salary slip, ITR acknowledgment|
How to check HDFC Millennia Credit Card application status?
You can track your HDFC Millennia Credit Card application and know its current status on this page. You need to enter your mobile number and application reference number/application form number/DOB.
HDFC Millennia Credit Card Customer Care
In case you need any assistance or have any issue regarding your credit card including reporting the loss of card, you may dial HDFC’s 24×7 helpline number 1860 267 6161 or 61606161 (prefix STD code). Customers traveling abroad may dial 022 61606160 to reach out HDFC’s customer care desk.
Credit Cards Similar to HDFC Millennia Credit Card
HDFC Millennia Credit Card, as you know is an entry to mid-level shopping credit card by HDFC. The card offers a high reward rate on spends on Amazon, Flipkart and other partner merchants. Some of the competitors of the HDFC Millennia Credit Card include IDFC FIRST Millennia Credit Card, SBI SimplySLICK Credit Card and Axis Bank Ace Credit Card. The following table gives a detailed point-wise comparison between the four credit cards-
|HDFC Millennia Credit Card||IDFC Millennia Credit Card||SBI SimplyCLIK Credit Card||Axis Bank Ace Credit Card|
|Reward Structure||Cashback (earned as CashPoints, redeemable for cashback – 1 CP = Re. 1)||Reward Points||Reward Points||Cashback|
|Reward Rate at partner merchant(s) (Amazon/Flipkart, etc.)||5% cashback (earned as CashPoints) at partner merchants including Amazon, BookMyShow, Cult.fit, Flipkart, Myntra, Sony LIV, Swiggy, Tata CLiQ, Uber and Zomato.
1% cashback on all other online/offline spends.
1CP = Re. 1 as cashback, reward rate of 5% at partner merchants and reward rate of 1% at partner meerchants
|3 Reward Points per Rs. 100 spent offline, 6 Reward Points per Rs. 100 spent online, 10 Reward Points per Rs. 100 on spends above Rs. 20,000.
1 Reward Point = Rs. 0.25, reward rate of 0.75% on offline spneds, reward rate of 1.25% on online purchases, reward rate of 2.5% on all spends above Rs. 20,000
|10 Reward Points per Rs. 100 spent at partner merchants including Amazon, Cleartrip, BookMyShow, Dineout, Lenskart, Apollo24x7 and Netmeds.
5 Reward Points per Rs. 100 on all other online spends.
1 Reward Point = Rs. 0.25, reward rate of 2.5% at partner merchants and 1.5% on all other online spends
|5% cashback on utility bill payments and mobile and DTH recharges.
4% cashback on Zomato, Swiggy and Ola.
2% cashback on all other spends with the card.
No cashback on fuel spends, purchases converted to EMI, wallet reloads, purchase of gold items, cash advances, payment of the card’s outstanding balances, and payment of card fees and other card charges.
|Reward Points/Cashback Maxcap||Max 1,000 CashPoints per month at 5X rate and 1,000 CashPoints per month at the regular 1X rate- total 2,000 Reward Points in a given statement cycle||No max cap applicable||Max 10,000 Reward Points can be earned in a month at accelerated (5X or 10X) rate||No max cap applicable|
|Additional Benefits||8 complimentary domestic airport lounge access every year.
20% discount on dining at partner restaurants.
|4 complimentary railway lounge access per quarter.
25% discount on movie tickets (up to 25%)
Up to 20% discount at over 1,500 restaurants across the country
Lower interest rate (0.75% to 3% per month)
|N/A||4 complimentary domestic airport lounge access.
20% discount at partner restaurant with Axis Bank’s Dining Delights program.
|Annual Fee||Rs. 1,000 per annum, waived off on a minimum annual expenditure of Rs. 1 lac||Nil||Rs. 499 per annum, waived off on a minimum annual expenditure of Rs. 1 lac||Rs. 499 per annum, waived off on an annual expenditure of a minimum of Rs. 2 lacs.|
HDFC Bank’s Millennia credit card, one can say, is the ideal card for someone who has just started working and loves to shop online. Not only that it gives you 5% CashBack on India’s most popular online shopping websites, Amazon and Flipkart. It is also one of the cards to vouch for building a solid credit profile. Like any other credit card, this card also requires you to maintain financial punctuality, otherwise, a debt trap at an early age can be really troublesome. Before you make your mind, however, it is worth checking Citibank’s Cashback credit card. It also offers pretty good Reward Points benefits. You may also have a look at the recently launched HDFC Bank MoneyBack Plus Credit Card.
What do you think about this offering by HDFC Bank? Do let us know in the comments. Existing cardholders feel free to share your experience with the HDFC Millennia Card for the benefit of others.
Although HDFC Millennia Card is not lifetime free (an annual fee of Rs. 1,000 is applicable), you can make the card lifetime free by activating SmartPay or One Assist or General Insurance or Balance Transfer on your card.
The CashPoints earned on HDFC Millennia Credit Card can be redeemed for cashback (adjustment against the card’s statement balance), purchasing products from the HDFC product catalog or for fight/hotel booking.
Your credit limit is decided based on your income and a number of other factors including your credit score.
Yes, you can withdraw cash from ATM with HDFC Millennia Credit Card. You will be charged a cash withdrawal fee of 2.5% of the withdrawn amount, subject to a minimum charge of Rs. 500.
Yes, you get 8 complimentary domestic airport lounge access (2 per quarter) per year with HDFC Millennia Card.
In case you need any assistance or to report the loss of card you may dial HDFC’s 24×7 toll-free helpline number 1800 266 4332, or you can also dial 1800 258 3838 on all days from 8 AM to 8 PM. Alternatively, you can also send an email at [email protected] mentioning your query/complaint.