A cashback credit by HDFC Bank, the HDFC Bank Millennia Credit Card targets the Gen-Y – the ‘90s kids or the millennials. The HDFC Millennia card is offered in four variants- Visa variant, MasterCard variant, Diners Club variant and RuPay variant. Being a basic credit card, this is placed at an annual fee of Rs. 1,000 (taxes extra).
Keeping its target customers in mind, HDFC Bank offers a 5% cashback on Amazon, BookMyShow, Cult.fit, Flipkart, Myntra, Sony LIV, Swiggy, Tata CLiQ, Uber and Zomato and a cashback of 1% on all other online and offline spends. The cashback is processed as CashPoints which can be redeemed against the card’s statement balance, for flight/hotel reservations or for purchasing products from the HDFC product catalog. Also the card offers great gift vouchers up on meeting the milestone achievement every quarter. It also offers dining discounts of up to 20% and fuel surcharge waiver as well. The cardholder can also enjoy the welcome benefits as well as the renewal fees waiver offer associated with the card.
Apart from the cashback, you also get complimentary lounge visits to the domestic airports in India. Keep reading the article to know more about HDFC Bank Millennia Credit Card.
HDFC Bank Millennia Credit Card
Best Suited For
Rs. 1,000 (plus applicable taxes)
- 1,000 CashPoints as a welcome benefit on card setup (subject to realization of the joining fee).
- 5% cashback at select partner online merchants including popular e-commerce websites like Amazon and Flipkart.
- Complimentary Dineout Passport membership for the first three months of card membership.
- 8 complimentary lounge visits every year (max 2 per quarter) at all domestic airports across India.
- Renewal fee waiver on spending Rs. 1,00,000 in the previous year.
Rewards and Benefits
1,000 CashPoints as a Welcome Benefit.
Movie & Dining
Up to 20% discount at partner restaurants with complimentary Dineout Passport membership
5% cashback (as CashPoints) at select partner online merchants and 1% cashback (as CashPoints) on all other spends (except fuel)
Rewards processed as CashPoints, 1 CP = Re. 1 while redeeming against statement balance of credit card and 1 CP = Rs. 0.30 while redeeming against products and vouchers in the product catalogue, and against flight/hotel booking.
Complimentary airport lounge access every year.
Domestic Lounge Access
2 complimentary visits per quarter. (8 in a year)
International Lounge Access
Zero Liability Protection
Zero liability of the credit cardholder in case of fraudulent transactions after you have reported about the loss or theft of the card to the bank.
Fees & Charges
Rs. 1,000 (plus applicable taxes)
Rs. 1,000 (plus taxes).
Spend based Waiver
The renewal fee is waived off if the cardholder spends Rs. 1 Lakh or more in the previous year.
Rewards Redemption Fee
Rs. 99 per redemption request (plus applicable taxes)
Rewards Redemption Fee
Rs. 99 per redemption request (plus applicable taxes)
Foreign Currency Markup
3.5% (plus applicable taxes)
3.6% per month (or 43.2% per annum)
1% Fuel surcharge which is waived if you spend minimum Rs 400 in single transaction. The maximum CashBack is capped at Rs. 250 per payment cycle.
Cash Advance Charge
2.5% of the transaction amount, subject to a minimum fee of Rs. 500
Add-on Card Fee
HDFC Millennia Credit Card – Key Highlights
|Best Suited For||Shopping and Cashback|
|Joining/Annual Fee||Rs. 1,000|
Minimum age – 21 years
Minimum income – Rs. 35,000 per month
|Benefits||Up to 5% cashback on selected categories & 1% cashback on all spends|
|Lounge Access||8 complimentary domestic lounge access every year|
HDFC Millennia Credit Card: The Most Popular Cashback Credit Card
HDFC Millennia Credit Card is the most popular and perhaps one of the best cashback credit cards present currency in the market of credit cards in India. What makes this card so popular is not only its high reward rate (up to 5% cashback as CashPoints on shopping at popular merchants like Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra, etc.) but also the high rate of redemption of Cash Points as cashback i.e. adjustment against the statement balance of credit card- 1 CashPoint = Re. 1 on adjustment against the card’s outstanding balance.
The recently launched HDFC MoneyBack+ Credit Card is also a cashback-based credit card, but the redemption rate of CashPoints on MoneyBack+ card is 1/4th that of HDFC Millennia Card (1 CP = Rs. 0.25). Another point that makes this credit card the most popular cashback credit card is that the monthly max capping on the cashback that can be earned on HDFC Millennia card is higher than most other cashback cards- 2,000 CashPoints per month (1,000 CashPoints at accelerated rate and 1,000 CashPoints at normal rate).
HDFC Millennia Credit Card Features and Benefits
Apart from the cashback benefit, HDFC Millennia Credit Card also offers many other benefits to the cardhoders. The benefits include bonus CashPoints as a welcome gift, complimentary airport lounge access, dining discounts, and many more.
In the form of welcome benefits, the cardholders will receive 1,000 bonus CashPoints on the successful realization of the joining fee.
- The cardholders will get 8 complimentary visits in a year to the domestic airport lounges with a maximum cap of 2 lounge visits per quarter with the HDFC Millennia Credit Card.
- With the HDFC Millennia Diners Club Credit Card, you get complimentary visits to the international lounges up to 2 times in a quarter with the Diners Club international lounge program.
Up to 20% discount at partner restaurants with Dineout Passport (applicable only for the first 3 months of card membership). Also, enjoy the Good Food Trail Dining program at premium restaurants across top cities, which includes:
- An assured discount of 25% at 2000+ premium restaurants.
- 1+1 buffet at 200+ restaurants.
- 1+1 food/drinks at select restaurants.
These discounts won’t be valid on occasions like New Year’s day/eve, Christmas day/eve, and Valentine’s day. Also the benefits under the Dineout passport membership are available for the primary cardholder only. You can avail these offers with the Dineout app, and inform the restaurant about the membership and then avail the discounts by paying the bill.
Fuel Surcharge Waiver
1% of the fuel surcharge is waived on a minimum payment of Rs. 400 at all petrol stations across India (the waiver amount is capped at a maximum of Rs. 250 per payment cycle).
Joining and Renewal Fee Waiver
- This credit card comes with an annual fee of Rs. 1,000 which is eligible for a waiver if the cardholder is able to spend an amount exceeding Rs. 1,00,000 in an anniversary year.
- Condition to make your HDFC Millennia Credit Card lifetime free: Activate one of SmartPay or One Assist or General Insurance or Balance Transfer on your card within the first 90 days of the card issuance date and renew every year (any one product and one bill through SmartPay or two products/two bills via SmartPay).
Zero Liability Protection
Under this, a credit cardholder will not be liable for any fraudulent transaction that takes place through his card in case of loss or theft of card if he informs the bank about the same within 24 hours of such incident.
HDFC Millennia Credit Card Reward Points/Cashback:
The cashback that you get by transacting through HDFC Millennia Credit Card is posted as CashPoints to the card account. You can redeem these CashPoints against a variety of options (details below) including cashback (adjustment against the due balance on the card). HDFC Millennia Card earns you-
- A cashback of 5% on partner online merchants- Amazon, BookMyShow, Cult.fit, Flipkart, Myntra, Sony LIV, Swiggy, Tata CLiQ, Uber and Zomato.
- A cashback of 1% on all other online and offline spends (like EMI and Wallet, Gift or Prepaid Card loads & Voucher Purchase transactions) excluding fuel purchases.
The CashPoints earned under the 5% and 1% categories are capped at 1,000 CashPoints per statement cycle each (max 2,000 CashPoints can be earned in a given statement cycle).
HDFC Millennia Credit Card Reward Points / Cashback Redemption
- As mentioned earlier, the cashback earned on HDFC Millennia Credit Card is credited as CashPoints to the card account at the end of the statement cycle. The CashPoints that you receive can be redeemed for a variety of options which includes cashback (i.e., adjusting them against the statement balance of the credit card), flight/hotel bookings via SmartBuy, product purchases from the bank’s catalog of products and partner airlines’ AirMiles.
|Value of CashPoints on Redemption|
|Product Catalog||Flights/Hotels on Smartbuy||Cashback||Airmiles|
|Rs. 0.30||Rs. 0.30||Re. 1||0.30 AirMiles|
- A minimum of 500 CashPoints are required for redemption against the card’s statement balance.
- CashPoints are valid only for 2 years and will expire thereafter.
- You have to pay a reward redemption fee of Rs. 99 for every redemption request you make.
HDFC Millennia Credit Card Fees and Charges
- Annual Fee: HDFC Millennia Credit Card comes with an annual fee of Rs. 1,000. The annual fee is eligible for waiver on spending a minimum of Rs. 1 lac in the preceding year.
- Interest Rate: You have to pay an interest rate of 3.6% per month (or 42.3% p.a.) which is applicable to the amount due on the card’s statement if you are unable to clear all your dues by the payment due date.
- Foreign Currency Mark-up: The cardholders will have to pay forex fee of 3.5% on the transacted amount. This fee is to be paid on all international transactions done using this credit card.
- Cash Withdrawal Fee: 2.5% of the withdrawn amount has to be paid as cash advance fee on all cash withdrawals made using this card.
- Late Payment Fee: If you are unable to clear all your dues by the payment due date, apart from the interest rate, a late payment fee shall also be applicable as per the following slab-
|Statement Balance||Late Payment Fee|
|Less than Rs. 100||Nil|
|Rs. 100 – Rs. 500||Rs. 100|
|Rs. 501 – Rs. 5,000||Rs. 500|
|Rs. 5,001 – Rs. 10,000||Rs. 600|
|Rs. 10,001 – Rs. 25,000||Rs. 800|
|Rs. 25,001 – Rs. 50,000||Rs. 1,100|
|More than Rs. 50,000||Rs. 1,300|
Advantages of HDFC Millennia Credit Card
- You get a really high cashback of 5% at partner merchants including big names like Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra, Swiggy, Zomato, Uber and a few other popular brands.
- Apart from the cashback benefit, you are also entitled to 8 complimentary lounge access at domestic airports across India- a benefit that you do not get with most entry-level credit cards.
- You also earn a cashback of 1% on fuel purchases made with HDFC Millennia Credit Card while many other credit cards do not offer any cashback/rewards on fuel spends.
Drawbacks of HDFC Millennia Credit Card
- The cashback earned on all other online/offline spends with the card- spends at non-partner merchants- is just 1%.
- A max capping of 1,000 CashPoints per statement cycle is applicable on CashPoints earned at the 5X accelerated rate, while you can earn another 1,000 CashPoints on the card at the normal 1X rate in a given statement cycle. A total of a maximum of 2,000 CashPoints can be earned in a statement cycle, which is equivalent to a cashback of Rs. 2,000.
Who Should Sign Up for HDFC Millennia Card?
The HDFC Millennia card, as the name itself suggests, should be the card of choice for young professionals who plan to begin their credit journey and build a strong credit profile. HDFC Bank, keeping its target customers in mind, offers extra benefits on shopping from partner websites including Amazon and Flipkart.
Eligibility Criteria for HDFC Millennia Credit Card
The following table illustrates the income-based and age-based eligibility criteria for HDFC Bank Millennia Credit Card-
|Criteria||Salaried Employees||Self-Employed Individuals|
|Age||21-60 Years||21-65 years|
|Age||Minimum Rs. 35,000 per month||Minimum Rs. 6,00,000 per annum (as per ITR)|
How to Apply for HDFC Millennia Credit Card
You can apply for HDFC Bank credit cards online on the bank’s official website. You need to-
- visit the HDFC credit cards page on the bank’s official site.
- Click/tap on the “Sign Up” button under the Millennia Credit Card.
- You will be redirected to HDFC’s credit card application page where you will need to fill up a form so that your application may be submitted.
Comparing with other cards
The Following table is the comparison of the HDFC Bank’s Millennia credit card with the similar credit cards.
|HDFC Millennia Credit Card||IDFC Millennia Credit Card||SBI SimplyCLIK Credit Card||Axis Bank Ace Credit Card|
|Reward Structure||Cashback (earned as CashPoints, redeemable for cashback – 1 CP = Re. 1)||Reward Points||Reward Points||Cashback|
|Reward Rate at partner merchant(s) (Amazon/Flipkart, etc.)||
5% cashback (earned as CashPoints) at partner merchants including Amazon, BookMyShow, Cult.fit, Flipkart, Myntra, Sony LIV, Swiggy, Tata CLiQ, Uber and Zomato.
1% cashback on all other online/offline spends.
1CP = Re. 1 as cashback, reward rate of 5% at partner merchants and reward rate of 1% at partner meerchants
3 Reward Points per Rs. 100 spent offline, 6 Reward Points per Rs. 100 spent online, 10 Reward Points per Rs. 100 on spends above Rs. 20,000.
1 Reward Point = Rs. 0.25, reward rate of 0.75% on offline spneds, reward rate of 1.25% on online purchases, reward rate of 2.5% on all spends above Rs. 20,000
10 Reward Points per Rs. 100 spent at partner merchants including Amazon, Cleartrip, BookMyShow, Dineout, Lenskart, Apollo24x7 and Netmeds.
5 Reward Points per Rs. 100 on all other online spends.
1 Reward Point = Rs. 0.25, reward rate of 2.5% at partner merchants and 1.5% on all other online spends
5% cashback on utility bill payments and mobile and DTH recharges.
4% cashback on Zomato, Swiggy and Ola.
2% cashback on all other spends with the card.
No cashback on fuel spends, purchases converted to EMI, wallet reloads, purchase of gold items, cash advances, payment of the card’s outstanding balances, and payment of card fees and other card charges.
|Reward Points/Cashback Maxcap||Max 1,000 CashPoints per month at 5X rate and 1,000 CashPoints per month at the regular 1X rate- total 2,000 Reward Points in a given statement cycle||No max cap applicable||Max 10,000 Reward Points can be earned in a month at accelerated (5X or 10X) rate||No max cap applicable|
8 complimentary domestic airport lounge access every year.
20% discount on dining at partner restaurants.
4 complimentary railway lounge access per quarter.
25% discount on movie tickets (up to 25%)
Up to 20% discount at over 1,500 restaurants across the country
Lower interest rate (0.75% to 3% per month)
4 complimentary domestic airport lounge access.
20% discount at partner restaurant with Axis Bank’s Dining Delights program.
|Annual Fee||Rs. 1,000 per annum, waived off on a minimum annual expenditure of Rs. 1 lac||Nil||Rs. 499 per annum, waived off on a minimum annual expenditure of Rs. 1 lac||Rs. 499 per annum, waived off on an annual expenditure of a minimum of Rs. 2 lacs.|
HDFC Bank’s Millennia credit card, one can say, is the ideal card for someone who has just started working and loves to shop online. Not only that it gives you 5% CashBack on India’s most popular online shopping websites, Amazon and Flipkart. It is also one of the cards to vouch for building a solid credit profile. Like any other credit card, this card also requires you to maintain financial punctuality, otherwise, a debt trap at an early age can be really troublesome. Before you make your mind, however, it is worth checking Citibank’s Cashback credit card. It also offers pretty good Reward Points benefits. You may also have a look at the recently launched HDFC Bank MoneyBack Plus Credit Card.
These are our views on the HDFC Bank Millennia Credit Card. Do share your reviews on this card with us in the comment section below!
Although HDFC Millennia Card is not lifetime free (an annual fee of Rs. 1,000 is applicable), you can make the card lifetime free by activating SmartPay or One Assist or General Insurance or Balance Transfer on your card.
The CashPoints earned on HDFC Millennia Credit Card can be redeemed for cashback (adjustment against the card’s statement balance), purchasing products from the HDFC product catalog or for fight/hotel booking.
Your credit limit is decided based on your income and a number of other factors including your credit score.
Yes, you can withdraw cash from ATM with HDFC Millennia Credit Card. You will be charged a cash withdrawal fee of 2.5% of the withdrawn amount, subject to a minimum charge of Rs. 500.
The cardholders will get 8 complimentary visits in a year to the domestic lounges, subject to a maximum of 2 visits per quarter. With the HDFC Millennia Diners Club Credit Card, you get 2 complimentary international lounge access every quarter.
You can place a call on HDFC’s 24×7 toll-free helpline number 1800 266 4332, or you can also dial 1800 258 3838 on all days from 8 AM to 8 PM. Alternatively, you can also send an email at [email protected] mentioning your query/complaint.
If you ever lose your HDFC Millennia Credit Card or if it is stolen, you should report the loss to the bank as soon as possible by calling on their helpline number 1800 266 4332.
The cash advance fee on the HDFC Millennia Credit Card is 2.5% of Rs. 500 (whichever of the two is high).