There are plenty of credit cards available in the market offering great benefits in Travel, Shopping, Dining, Entertainment, Fuel, and whatnot. One can find a suitable credit card as per their needs and find one from entry-level to premium credit cards. But there is another category of credit cards, which is the super-premium credit cards. The super-premium credit cards are known for their world-class privileges and lavish benefits and are issued to high-net-worth individuals (HNI). Today we are going to talk about and also draw a comparison between two super-premium credit cards- HDFC Diners Club Black Credit Card and ICICI Bank Emeralde Credit Card.
HDFC Diners Club Black Credit Card is a super-premium offering by HDFC Bank that provides world-class benefits in Travel, Shopping, and Dining as well. The card comes with Complimentary memberships of Amazon Prime, Club Marriott, Zomato Gold, and many more. For Travelers, the card offers unlimited access to airport lounges and a lower forex markup fee. Moreover, you get two monthly vouchers from leading brands worth Rs. 500 based on your spends.
The ICICI Bank Emeralde Credit Card, on the other hand, is also a super premium credit card offered by ICICI Bank. With a joining fee of Rs. 12,000, the card comes with plenty of benefits in travel, shopping, and movies. For travelers, the Emeralde card is a great deal as it offers unlimited access to international and domestic lounges, travel-based insurance covers, lower forex fee, and much more. On top of that, you get many other privileges including 24×7 concierge service, a good reward rate as well as redemption options, and great entertainment benefits.
Both the credit cards, ie, the HDFC Diners Club Black Credit Card and ICICI Bank Emeralde Credit Card fall under the category of super-premium credit cards and are known for their top-notch benefits. Therefore, it might be difficult to draw a comparison between these two cards. T0 help you out with the same, we have provided a fine comparison between these two cards along with detailed information about the same. To know more, keep reading.
HDFC Diners Club Black Credit Card
The HDFC Diners Club Black Credit Card as mentioned is the most premium credit card offered by HDFC Bank after the HDFC Infinia Credit card. The card carries the same joining fee and the annual fee of Rs. 10,000, which also can be waived off based on your spending. As a welcome benefit, the card offers Complimentary annual memberships to Club Marriott, Forbes, Amazon Prime, Zomato Gold, etc, which can be availed by meeting the target spend. Talking about the rewards on transactions, the card carries an effective reward rate, where you can earn up to 10X Reward points for the spends made with the card. Moreover, the card offers great travel benefits which include lower foreign currency markup, Unlimited complimentary lounge visits, and much more. Following are detailed features of the HDFC Diners Club Black Credit Card:
- On spending Rs. 1.5 lakhs within the first 90 days of the credit card issuance date, the cardholder gets Complimentary annual memberships of Club Marriott, Forbes, Amazon Prime, Zomato Gold, Times Prime, and MMTDOUBLEBLACK as a welcome benefit.
- These memberships can be renewed every year on spending Rs. 8 Lakh or more with the Diners Club Black card in the previous year. Moreover, on spending Rs. 80,000 or more in a month, the card offers the option to select any 2 vouchers from leading brands including Cure.fit Live, Ola Select, BookMyShow, and TATA CLiQ which are worth Rs. 500.
- The card offers a great deal for travelers with its top-notch travel benefits. You get Unlimited complimentary international and domestic lounge access along with a lower forex markup fee of 1.99%. Moreover, the Reward points earned with the HDFC Diners club black card are redeemable for Airlines’ Rewards programs like Singapore Airlines AirMiles, InterMiles, and Club Vistara Points.
- For every Rs. 150 spent on retail, the card offers 5 Reward Points. Also, you get up to 10X accelerated points for spends made via HDFC SmartBuy and 2X Reward Points on weekend dining.
- The reward points earned with the card are redeemable for a number of options including, Flight or Hotel bookings, Airmiles, and cashback (against the card’s statement balance and at Diners Club’s exclusive reward redemption catalog.
- The cardholders can also enjoy many other premium benefits that are provided with the card like 6 complimentary golf rounds every quarter across the best golf courses globally and travel-based insurance covers up to Rs. 2 crores.
ICICI Bank Emeralde Credit Card
ICICI Bank Emeralde Credit Card is one of the most premium credit cards offered by ICICI Bank. The card charges Rs. 12,000 as the annual fee which can also be settled monthly (Rs. 1,000 per month). With this card, the cardholders can earn up to 4 Reward Points for every Rs. 100 spent. The Emerald credit card is known for its world-class travel benefits which provide travelers with a fine experience while traveling. It offers complimentary access to domestic as well as international airport lounges, complimentary airport spa, a lower forex fee, and much more. Moreover, it also provides Travel based insurance plans worth up to Rs. 3 crores. Apart from travel benefits, the Emeralde credit card offers great dining and entertainment benefits, premium privileges like golf games, and 24×7 concierge services. The features of the ICICI Bank Emeralde Credit Card have been explained in detail below:
- The cardholders earn 4 Reward Points for every Rs. 100 spent on retail, except utilities, fuel, and insurance, and 1 Reward for every Rs. 100 spent on selected categories (utilities and insurance).
- The reward points earned with the card are redeemable for gifts or against statement credit. The value of 1 reward point earned with the card is equal to Rs. 0.25.
- For Travel lovers, the Emeralde Credit card offers Unlimited Access to domestic as well as international airport lounges, Unlimited complimentary domestic airport spa access, and zero cancellation charge on hotel and flight bookings (up to Rs. 12,000) for maximum 2 transactions in a year.
- Also, on international transactions, the card charges a very low forex markup fee of 1.5% which is far low compared to other credit cards that charge around 3.5%.
- Being a premium credit card, it also offers 1 complimentary round/lesson of golf each month which can be availed by spending Rs. 50,000 in a month. Also, it offers you a 24×7 concierge service and travel-related insurance covers up to Rs. 3 crores.
- The card provides up to Rs. 750 off on movie or event tickets on BookMyShow along with more than 15% off on dining bills under the Culinary Treats program.
- The annual fee of Rs. 12,000 can be waived off on spending Rs. 15,00,000 in the card anniversary year or Rs. 1,00,000 per month (under the monthly plan).
Now that we know about the features and benefits provided by both the super-premium credit cards. Let us now draw a comparison between the HDFC Diners Club Black Credit Card and ICICI Bank Emeralde Credit Card:
|Basis||HDFC Diners Club Black Credit Card||ICICI Bank Emeralde Credit Card|
5 Reward Points for every Rs. 150 spent.
2X Reward Points on weekend dining.
10x Accelerated Reward Points on SmartBuy.
4 Reward Points for every Rs. 100 spent on retail.
1 Reward for every Rs. 100 spent on selected categories.
The points can be redeemed for:
flights/hotels bookings via SmartBuy (1RP = Rs. 1).
InterMiles, Singapore Airlines, and Club Vistara (1RP = 1 Air Mile).
Diners Club exclusive reward redemption catalog (1RP = up to Rs. 0.50).Cashback (1RP = Rs. 0.30).
|The points can be redeemed for gifts or against statement credit. 1 reward point = Rs. 0.25|
|Welcome Benefits||Complimentary annual memberships of Club Marriott, Forbes, Zomato Gold, Amazon Prime, Times Prime, and MMTDOUBLEBLACK, on spending 1.5 lakhs within the first 90 days of credit card issuance.||NA|
|Lounge Access||Unlimited complimentary access to the domestic and international airport lounges||Unlimited complimentary access to the domestic and international airport lounges|
|Travel Benefits||Reward points earned are redeemable for Airlines’ Rewards programs.||Zero cancellation charges on hotel/flight bookings for a maximum of 2 transactions per year (up to Rs. 12,000).|
|Insurance Covers||Travel-related insurance covers up to Rs. 2 crores.||Travel-related insurance covers up to Rs. 3 crores.|
|Golf Games||6 complimentary golf rounds every quarter.||1 complimentary round/lesson of golf every month on spending Rs. 50,000 in the previous month|
|Dining Benefits||Accelerated Reward Points on weekend dining.Annual membership of Zomato Gold and Club Marriott||Minimum 15% off on dining bills under the Culinary Treats program.|
|Entertainment Benefits||NA||Up to Rs. 750 off on movie/event tickets on BookMyShow (max 4 tickets per month).|
|Spend-Based Fee Waiver||Annual fee waived on spending Rs. 5,00,000 in the previous year.||
The monthly renewal fee waived on spending Rs. 1,00,000 in the previous month.
Annual fee waived on spending Rs. 15,00,000 in the previous year.
|Joining Fee||Rs. 10,000 (Plus Applicable taxes)||Rs. 12,000 (Plus Applicable taxes) or Rs. 1,000 (monthly plan)|
|Renewal Fee||Rs. 10,000 (Plus Applicable taxes)||Rs. 12,000 (Plus Applicable taxes) or Rs. 1,000 (monthly plan)|
|Foreign Markup fee||1.99% of the transaction amount||1.5% of the transaction amount.|
Both the HDFC Diners Club Black Credit Card and ICICI Bank Emeralde Credit Card offer almost the same benefits. But there are some things that are worth noticing such as the welcome benefit provided with the Diners Club Black credit card. It offers complimentary membership to some of the premium brands which can be availed by meeting the target spend. Also, the Diners club black card carries a strong reward rate and many redemption options. The complimentary golf games provided with the Emeralde credit card are subject to spending, whereas the diners card offers the same without any condition.
The annual fee charged with the Emerald credit card is higher than that of the Diners Club Black card. Moreover, the spend-based condition with Emeralde card of spending Rs. 15,00,000 is pretty high compared to the latter. Apart from this, the Emerald Credit card does provide some better benefits such as a lower forex fee than the other, movie ticket offers, Travel-related insurance covers up to Rs. 3 crores, and zero cancellation charges on hotel/flight bookings. Let us know in the comments section which one you would choose if you were to choose one card among these two super premium credit cards.