Most of the major credit card issuers in India offer credit cards that are best suited for different categories so that everyone can find a suitable card for themselves. Most people having their own vehicle often look for a credit card that will help them save more and more on their fuel purchases. Keeping this in mind, various card issuers have partnered with different fuel companies and offer co-branded credit cards with them. As there are a lot of fuel credit cards in the Indian market, you might find it difficult to choose the right one for yourself. Some of the best credit cards in the fuel category include the ICICI Bank HPCL Super Saver Credit Card and the BPCL SBI Credit Card Octane. Both the cards are issued by the top card issuers in the country and hence people often get confused while choosing one of these two cards.
The BPCL SBI Card Octane comes with a higher annual fee compared to the ICICI Bank HPCL Super Saver Card, but it also offers some additional benefits, such as complimentary gift vouchers for achieving the annual spend milestone. On the other hand, the HPCL Super Saver Card offers a discount on movie tickets, but no such discount is offered by the BPCL SBI Card Octane. Similarly, there are many more features of the two cards which make it challenging for individuals to choose one of the two. In this article, we will discuss and compare all the benefits of both these cards so that you can easily make the right decision. Keep reading for more information:
BPCL SBI Card Octane
The BPCL SBI Octane Credit Card is one of the two BPCL co-branded fuel cards issued by SBI Card, the most trusted credit card issuer in the country. It comes with an annual fee of Rs. 1,499, which is waived off on achieving the required annual spend in the previous year. As it is a fuel credit card, it offers accelerated reward points on fuel purchases and a decent reward rate on other spends as well. However, the benefits of this card are not just restricted to reward points, but it comes with many more additional privileges, including complimentary lounge access, exciting welcome benefits, etc. All its features are listed below in detail:
– Get 6,000 bonus Reward Points as a welcome benefit.
– 1 Reward Point on every Rs. 100 spent on retail purchases.
– 10x Rewards on groceries, movies, and departmental stores.
– 25x Reward Points on fuel purchases at BPCL fuel stations.
– The Reward Points are redeemable against fuel purchases as well as many other options, including cash back. The value of 1 RP = Re. 0.25.
– 4 complimentary domestic lounge access every quarter.
– Get a gift voucher worth Rs. 2,000 from Bata/Yatra/Hush Puppies, or Aditya Birla Fashion, on spending a minimum of Rs. 3 lakh in a year.
– 1% fuel surcharge waiver on all fuel purchases up to Rs. 4,000 (maximum waiver of Rs. 100 every month).
– Credit Liability Cover worth Rs. 1 lakh
– Annual fee of Rs. 1,499 is waived on spending Rs. 2 lakh in the previous year.
ICICI Bank HPCL Super Saver Credit Card
The ICICI Bank HPCL Super Saver Credit Card comes with a very nominal annual fee of Rs. 500, but it is considered one of the best fuel credit cards in the market. The card was recently launched by ICICI Bank in partnership with Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited and became a choice to so many people a few months after being launched. Talking about its reward rate, it offers up to 5% cashback on your spends and has several other privileges across different categories. All its benefits and features are given below in detail:
– The cardholders get 2,000 bonus Reward Points as a welcome benefit and Rs. 100 cashback on their first purchase on the HP Pay app.
– 4% cashback on all fuel purchases at HPCL fuel pumps (maximum cashback capped at Rs. 200 per month).
– 5% value back (in the form of Reward Points) on utility payments and departmental store spends. The maximum Rewards are capped at 400 Reward Points per month.
– 2 Reward Points on every spend of Rs. 100 elsewhere.
– The Reward Points can be redeemed against a lot of options, including products, gift vouchers, cashback, etc, at a rate of 1 RP = Re. 0.25.
– You get 1 complimentary domestic lounge access every quarter, i.e, 4 per year.
– Get 25% discount on movie ticket bookings via BookMyShow (maximum discount applicable per ticket is Rs. 100).
– 1% fuel surcharge waiver on all fuel spends.
– The annual fee is waived off on spending Rs. 1.5 lakh or more in the previous year.
Now, you might have understood all the benefits of both credit cards, but you may still find it confusing to choose one of the two credit cards. With the following table, you can easily compare the two cards and decide which one will be the most suitable for your needs:
|Factors of Comparison||BPCL SBI Card Octane||ICICI Bank HPCL Super Saver Credit Card|
|Annual fee||Rs. 1,499 (waived on spending Rs. 2 lakhs or more in the previous year)||Rs. 500 (waived on spending Rs. 1.5 lakhs or more in the previous year)|
– 1 RP on every Rs. 100 spent on retail purchases.
– 10x RPs on groceries, movies, and departmental stores.
– 25x RPs on fuel purchases at BPCL fuel stations.
– 4% cashback on all fuel purchases at HPCL fuel pumps
– 5% value back on utility payments and departmental store spends.
|Movie & Dining Benefits||NA||25% discount (up to Rs. 100) on movie ticket bookings via BookMyShow|
|Milestone Benefits||Gift voucher worth Rs. 2,000 from Bata/Yatra/Hush Puppies, or Aditya Birla Fashion, on spending above Rs. 3 lakhs in a year.||NA|
|Travel Benefits||4 free domestic lounge access every year||4 free domestic lounge access every year|
|Other Benefits||– 1% fuel surcharge waiver (capped at Rs. 100 per month).– Credit Liability cover worth Rs. 1 lakh.||1% fuel surcharge waiver on all fuel purchases.|
From the above table, we can easily observe that there is not a very major difference in the benefits of the BPCL SBI Octane Card and the ICICI HPCL Super Saver Card. But, little things can also make a big difference. The reward rate offered by the BPCL SBI Octane Card on fuel spends is higher than that offered by the ICICI HPCL Super Saver Card. But, the annual fee is also higher with the BPCL SBI Card Octane. One great thing to note down here is that both cards are offering the same number of complimentary lounge access. Therefore, someone, who wants a decent reward rate and basic travel benefits with an affordable annual fee, should go with the HPCL Super saver Card.
However, if you are ready to pay a slightly higher annual fee to get a better reward rate on fuel spends, you should definitely go with the SBI BPCL Octane Card. This is how different cards can be the best for different people. No card can simply be the best for everyone. Every individual has different requirements and the best card depends on various factors, including their spending behaviors, their needs, and a few more. You should also choose a card for yourself accordingly. If you still have any confusion, you can let us know in the comment section below!