Axis Bank Atlas Credit Card and American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card are generic (not co-branded) travel credit cards in the sub-premium segment. While Axis Bank has launched the Atlas Credit Card only recently, American Express Platinum Credit Card has been in the market for a long time now. The membership fee of both the cards is also the same- Rs. 5,000 per annum (the first year membership fee of AmEx Platinum Travel Card is Rs. 3,500).
As Axis Bank Atlas Credit Card and AmEx Platinum Travel Credit Card offer similar benefits and features and also come with the same annual membership fees, it makes sense to compare the reward rate, features and benefits of the two cards. In this article, we shall give a detailed pointwise comparison between Axis Bank Atlas Credit Card and American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card.
Axis Bank Atlas Credit Card
Axis Bank Atlas Credit Card, as mentioned above, is a generic travel credit card recently launched by the bank. The card is best suited for frequent travelers- both domestic as well as international frequent flyers. Axis Bank Atlas Credit Card earns Reward Points as Edge Miles which are redeemable for travel spends (flight/hotel bookings) on the Axis Bank Travel Edge portal and can also be transferred to partner airlines’ frequent flyer programs. Atlas Credit Card comes with an annual fee of Rs. 5,000 per annum and apart from earning Edge Miles, also offers a number of other travel benefits such as complimentary domestic/international airport lounge access, airport pickup and drop-off service, additional Miles on achieving stipulated spend milestones, etc. Some of the key features of Axis Bank Atlas Credit Card are as under-
- The card is offered in three tiers- Silver, Gold and Platinum. By default, a cardmember is in the Silver Tier and is upgraded to Gold Tier on spending Rs. 7.5 lacs and Platinum Tier on the expenditure of 15 lacs in a year.
- You get 5,000 Miles worth Rs. 5,000 as a welcome gift on making three successful transactions with the card within 60 days of card issuance.
- The card earns you 5 Miles per Rs. 100 on travel spends, 2 Miles per Rs. 100 on transactions made in foreign currencies and 1 Mile per Rs. 100 on all other categories spends with the card.
- The three membership Tiers of the card differ in terms of the annual benefits, milestone benefits and add-on benefits like airport lounge access, concierge service, pickup/drop off services, etc.
- Axis Bank Atlas cardholders get annual renewal benefit as bonus Miles credited to the cardholder’s account as per the following table-
|Membership Tier||No. of Edge Miles (credited annually)|
- Cardholders are entitles to bonus Miles on achieving the stipulated spend milestones as per the table below-
|Spend Milestone||No. of Edge Miles|
|Rs. 3 lacs||2,500|
|Rs. 7.5 lacs||5,000|
|Rs. 15 lacs||10,000|
- The Edge Miles earned on your Axis Bank Atlas Credit Card can be redeemed for booking flights/hotels on the bank’s Travel Edge portal or can be transferred as AirMiles to partner airlines’ frequent flyer programs. Partner airlines for the transfer of Edge Miles include Air Vistara, Air Asia, Ethiopian Airlines, and Turkish Airlines. The transfer ratio of Edge Miles to partner airlines’ frequent flyer program is as under-
|Partner Program||Conversion Ratio- Edge Miles: Partner Miles|
- Axis Bank Atlas Credit Card also entitles you to complimentary domestic and international airport lounge access as per the table below. The number of lounge access allowed in a given year is different for different tiers of membership-
|Membership Tier||No. of Domestic Airport Lounge Visits||No.of International Airport Lounge Visits|
- You also get a discount of up to 20% at over 4,000 partner restaurants with Axis Bank’s Dining Delights program.
American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card
AmEx Platinum Travel Credit Card, as the name suggests, is a travel-centric credit card by American Express. It is a mid-range travel credit card by American Express and comes with a membership fee of Rs. 5,000 per annum (first year’s membership fee or joining fee is Rs. 3,500). The card offers a decent reward rate and a plethora of add-on travel benefits like Taj Gift vouchers on achieving the stipulated spend milestones, complimentary domestic airport lounge access, complimentary Priority Pass membership and many more. Following are some of the salient features of the Platinum Travel Credit Card by American Express-
- 10,000 Membership Rewards Points as a welcome benefit, on spending a minimum of Rs. 5,000 within 60 days of card issuance.
- 15,000 Bonus Membership Rewards Points worth up to Rs. 7,500 (redemption value against Taj Stay Vouchers) on spending Rs. 1.9 lakh in a year.
- Taj Stay Voucher worth Rs, 10,000 and additional 25,000 Membership Rewards Points worth up to Rs. 12,500 (against Taj Stay Vouchers) on the expenditure of Rs. 4 lakhs in a membership year.
- 8 complimentary domestic airport lounge access every year (max 2 per quarter) and complimentary membership of the Priority Pass lounge access program (no complimentary international airport lounge access).
- Up to 20% discount on dining bills at partner restaurants with Axis Bank’s Dining Delight program.
Now that you are aware of the features and benefits of both cards, you may refer to the following table as a quick reference for comparison between Axis Bank Atlas Credit Card and AmEx Platinum Travel Credit Card-
|Axis Bank Atlas Credit Card||American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card|
Both the credit cards offer great value to frequent travelers, however, which card would be better suited for you depends upon your usage. If you want a credit card primarily for airline spends, Axis Bank Atlas Credit Card might be the right pick for you as you get Edge Miles on the Atlas card that are not only redeemable for flight/hotel bookings via Axis Bank’s Travel Edge portal but also are transferable as AirMiles to partner airlines’ frequent flyer programs. On the other hand, if you are fond of lavish hotels and want a credit card that would help you with hotel bookings, AmEx Platinum Travel Card might be the right pick for you as you get Taj stay vouchers on achieving the stipulated spend milestones.