American Express is globally known for its range of premium credit cards and the air mile benefits that they offer. In India, American Express currently has only one offering in the travel category- The American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card. Earlier, they were also offering the Jet Airways Platinum Credit Card, but after the airline suspended its operations in 2019, the same was discontinued and the JetAirways Platinum card’s customers were migrated to the Platinum Travel card. As is obvious from the name, It’s a travel credit card. It comes with attractive welcome benefits and plenty of milestone benefits in the form of Membership Rewards Points which can be redeemed not just for travel-related expenses like booking air tickets, hotels, and cars on the Amex Travel Online portal, but also for shopping vouchers on online shopping sites, e-vouchers on American Express’s online shopping portal, for offline shopping using INSTA rewards and also to make credit card bill payments under the Amex’s Cash + Points scheme. However, under the Cash + Points scheme, 1000 Membership Rewards Points are equivalent to Rs. 250. Apart from the welcome and milestone benefits, you also earn 2 Membership Rewards Point for every Rs. 100 spent using the card (with a few exceptions though).
American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card
Best Suited For
Rs. 3,500 (plus applicable taxes)
Reward Points |
- Welcome Gift of 10,000 Membership Rewards Points.
- 2 Membership Rewards Point for every Rs. 100 spent.
- Rewards Points based Milestone benefits on reaching milestones like expenditure of Rs. 1.9 lac / 4 lac in a membership year.
- Complimentary Taj Stay voucher on expenditure of Rs. 4 lac in a membership year.
- 8 domestic airport lounge access every year (max 2 per quarter).
- 10% cashback on OnePlus devices.
- 0% convenience fee at all HPCL fuel stations across India.
Rewards and Benefits
10,000 Membership Rewards Points
Movie & Dining
Up to 20% discount at select restaurants.
2 Membership Rewards Points for every Rs. 100 spent.
Membership Rewards Points can be redeemed for online shopping vouchers, INSTA rewards for offline purchases, transfer to various flight and hotels loyalty programmes and for making credit card bill payments under the Cash + Points scheme.
Complimentary domestic airport lounge access per year and Priority Pass membership for international lounge access. Taj Expenses e-gift card and Taj Stay voucher as milestone benefits (read below for details)
Domestic Lounge Access
8 complimentary domestic lounge access per year (max 2 every quarter).
International Lounge Access
Priority Pass Membership (lounge access program) with USD 99 annual fee waived off.
Zero Liability Protection
No liability on cardholder for fraudulent use provided the loss of card is reported within 3 days. Liability limited to Rs. 1000 if loss of card reported after 3 days.
Fees & Charges
Rs. 3,500 (plus applicable taxes)
Rs. 5,000 (plus applicable taxes)
Spend based Waiver
Rewards Redemption Fee
Rewards Redemption Fee
Foreign Currency Markup
3.5% of the transaction amount
3.5% per month
No fuel surcharge at HPCL fuel stations for transactions of up to Rs. 5,000, 1% surcharge on transactions above Rs. 5,000
Cash Advance Charge
3.5% of the transaction amount subject to a minimum charge of Rs. 250.
Add-on Card Fee
Nil up to 2 add-on cards, Rs. 1500/card thereafter.
American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card Features and Benefits
You get 10,000 American Express Membership Rewards Points as a welcome benefit which can be redeemed on e-commerce websites like Flipkart, for shopping e-vouchers from Amex’s store, offline payments using INSTA Pay, and for payment towards your card’s statement balance under the Cash + Points scheme. You get this welcome benefit only if you spend at least Rs. 5,000 in the first 2 months of the issuance of the card.
- If you spend Rs. 1.9 lacs in a year, you are entitled to 15,000 Membership Rewards Points worth up to Rs. 7,500 (for redemption against Taj Stay Vouchers)
- Expenditure of Rs. 4 lacs entitles you to 25,000 Membership Rewards Points worth up to Rs. 12,500 (for redemption against Taj Stay Vouchers) and an additional Taj Stay Voucher worth Rs. 10,000.
- It’s a travel credit card, so it comes with plenty of travel benefits like 8 domestic lounge access (2 per quarter) and a complimentary membership of Priority Pass, with USD 99 waived off (however a usage fee of USD 32 is payable for every lounge visit under the Priority Pass benefit) for international lounge.
- The Membership Rewards Points can be spent for hotel/flight/car bookings on the Amex Travel Online portal.
- Expenditure of Rs 4 lacs also entitles you to a Taj Stay voucher worth Rs. 10,000 from the Taj, SeleQtions and Vivanta hotels.
Movie and Dining Benefits:
You get up to a 20% discount on your dining bills at select partner restaurants on payment via the Platinum Travel Credit Card. Apart from this, American Express frequently comes up with attractive offers on food delivery portals like Swiggy and Qmin.
Fuel Surcharge Waiver:
You need not pay any fuel surcharge at any of the HPCL fuel stations across India for transactions up to Rs. 5000, however, a surcharge of 1% is payable for all transactions greater than Rs. 5000.
American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card Rewards:
Every Rs. 100 spent using American Express Platinum Travel credit card earns you 2 Membership Rewards Points.
- The Membership Rewards Points can be redeemed on popular e-commerce websites (like Flipkart), purchasing e-vouchers from Amex’s online shopping portal, INSTA purchases at offline stores, and also to make credit card bill payments under the Cash + Points scheme.
- Amex’s Membership Rewards Points can also be transferred to other air miles and hotel loyalty programs like Asia Miles, British Airways Executive Club, Club Vistara, Emirates, Skywards, Etihad Guest, Finnair Plus, InterMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Singapore KrisFlyer, Virgin Points, Marriott Bonovoy and Hilton Honors.
American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card Fees and Charges
- Annual Fee: The annual renewal fee of the American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card is Rs. 5,000 per annum, however, the first year’s annual fee (joining fee) is just Rs. 3,500, while the renewal fee of Rs. 5,000 per annum is applicable second year onwards.
- Interest Rate: If you are not able to pay off your American Express Platinum Credit Card bill on time, an interest rate of 3.5% per month is applicable on the due amount.
- Cash Advance Charge: A cash advance fee of 3.5% of the withdrawn amount (subject to a minimum charge of Rs. 250) is applicable on cash withdrawals using the American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card.
- Foreign Currency Mark-up Charge: A mark-up fee of 3.5% of the transaction amount is applicable on all foreign currency transactions made with the Platinum Travel Credit Card.
Advantages of American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card
- Attractive Milestone Benefits: American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card provides very attractive milestone benefits to the cardholders- 15,000 Bonus Membership Rewards Points on an annual expenditure of Rs. 1.9 lacs and 25,000 Bonus Membership Rewards Points on the expenditure of Rs. 4 lacs in a year. Apart from the Bonus Membership Rewards Points, you also get complimentary Taj Stay vouchers on the annual expenditure of Rs. 10,000 with the card.
- Complimentary Domestic Airport Lounge Access: American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card offers 8 complimentary lounge access per annum (max 2 per quarter) at domestic airports across India- which is a decent number of lounge visits for a sub-premium travel credit card like American Express Platinum Credit Card.
- Movie and Dining Discounts: Although American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card is a travel credit card, you also do get a discount of up to 20% at partner restaurants across the country.
Drawbacks of American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card
- Reward Rate: American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card earns you 2 Membership Rewards Points per Rs. 100 spent with the card. Since the maximum monetary value of 1 Membership Rewards Point is Rs. 0.5, the maximum reward rate that you can get with American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card is 1%. However, you do get a 3x reward rate on purchases made via American Express Reward Multiplier.
- No Complimentary International Airport Lounge Access: As far as international airport lounge access is concerned, American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card offers no complimentary lounge access at international airports. However, the card does offer a complimentary membership of the Priority Pass lounge access program (worth USD 99) for international airport lounge access. Lounge access under the Priority Pass membership that you get with the Platinum Travel Credit Card is chargeable- USD 27 per visit per guest.
- No Insurance Benefits: While most travel credit cards offer a complimentary comprehensive insurance cover with travel-related insurance benefits like personal air accident cover, insurance against loss/delay of check-in luggage, loss of travel documents, etc., you do not get any insurance benefit with the American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card.
Who Should Apply for American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card?
American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card is the right credit card for you if-
- you do not want to compromise with your travel experience as American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card offers complimentary Taj Stay Vouchers to the cardholders on achieving certain stipulated spend milestones.
- you are a frequent domestic traveler as the card entitles you to 8 complimentary airport lounge access at domestic airports across India.
You should look for a better option if-
- direct reward rate is more important for you than add-on privileges like complimentary hotel vouchers.
- you are a frequent international flyer as American Express Platinum Credit Card although entitles you to Priority Pass membership, you do not get any complimentary international airport lounge access with the card.
- you want complimentary insurance benefits with your credit card.
- you want a travel credit card with a lower mark-up fee on foreign currency transactions.
Credit Cards Similar to American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card
Citibank PremierMiles Credit Card and HDFC Diners club Miles Credit Card are two credit cards that are similar to the American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card in terms of the benefits that they offer. The following table gives a comparison between the three credit cards-
|American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card||Citibank PremierMiles Credit Card||HDFC Diners Club Miles Credit Card|
|Reward Structure||Reward Points||Reward Points||Reward Points|
|Reward Rate||2 Membership Rewards Points per Rs. 100 spent.||4 Miles per Rs.100 on regular spends.
10 Miles per Rs. 100 on airline spends.
|4 Reward Points per Rs. 150 spent with the card.|
|Reward Redemption||Points earned can be redeemed for shopping vouchers, credit card bill payment (under Cash + Point scheme), or can be transferred to partner flight/hotel loyalty programs.||Miles can be redeemed for partner airlines’ AirMiles, utility purchases, retail spends and various other redemption options.
1 Mile = 0.5 AirMile of partner airlines, 1 Mile = Rs. 0.45 for travel-related categories (on travel portals), 1 Mile = Rs. 0.30 for utility and fuel and retail categories and 1 Mile = Rs. 0.20 for other categories.
|Reward Points are redeemable for AirMiles (1 RP = 1 AirMile), flight/hotel bookings via SmartBuy (1 RP = Rs. 0.5), vouchers/products (1 RP = Rs. 0.35) and cashback (1 RP = Rs. 0.20)|
|Milestone Benefits||15,000 Bonus Membership Rewards Points on spending Rs. 1.9 lakh in a year.
Taj Stay Vouchers worth Rs. 10,000 and additional 25,000 Membership Rewards Points on expenditure of Rs. 4 lakh in a year.
|N/A||Renewal fee (second year onwards) waived on an annual expenditure of Rs. 1 lac.|
|Additional Benefits||8 complimentary domestic airport lounge access every year (max 2 per quarter).
Up to 20% discount at partner restaurants.
|8 complimentary domestic lounge access per quarter with visa variant.
6 complimentary airport lounge access per quarter with MasterCard variant.
Up to 20% discount at partner restaurants.
Personal air accident cover worth Rs. 1 crore and lost card liability cover worth Rs. 10 lacs.
|15% discount at partner restaurants.
6 complimentary airport lounge access across the world every year.
Comprehensive insurance cover
|Membership Fee||Rs. 5,000 per annum (joining fee of Rs. 3,500 for the first year)||Rs. 3,000 per annum||Rs. 1,000 per annum|
American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card Eligibility and Documentation:
The income and age based eligibility criteria for the American Express Platinum Travel Credi Card is as per the table below-
|Criteria||Salaried Employees||Self-Employed Individuals|
|Age||>18 Years||>18 Years|
|Income||Minimum Rs. 6,00,000 per annum||Minimum Rs. 6,00,000 per annum (as per ITR) and an at least 12 years old company.|
You need to submit the following documents to American express for your application for the Platinum Travel Credit Card to be processed-
- Identity Proof: Aadhar Card, Voter ID Card, PAN Card driving license, passport, etc.
- Address Proof: Aadhar Card, Voter ID Card, electricity/telephone bills, passport, etc.
- Proof of Income: Salary slips or ITR acknowledgments.
How to apply for American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card:
You can apply for an American Express Platinum credit card either online or offline. The application procedure for the American Express Travel Credit Card is simple. You need to provide a few documents including identity proof (like Aadhar card), address proof, PAN card and income proof and submit your application online. The American Express officials will contact you in case any additional documents are required. If your application is successful, you’ll receive your card within 15 days, otherwise, the Amex officials will get in touch with you within 90 days.
Although the annual fee of the American Express Platinum Travel credit card is slightly on the higher side (Rs. 5000 after the first year), it is a decent credit card for people with wanderlust and for those frequent fliers who travel on business trips. Apart from the travel benefits, the card also offers some shopping benefits, so it might also fit the needs of someone who loves to shop online. What do you think about this card? Do let us know in the comments, and if you’re an existing user or if you have used this credit card in the past, feel free to comment and let us know about your experience with the card.
The Membership Rewards Points that you get as the welcome benefit, milestone benefits, or for regular expenditures (at the rate of 2 Points for every Rs. 100 spent) can be redeemed either for shopping vouchers on e-commerce sites, e-vouchers on Amex’s shopping portal, offline payments using INSTA Pay and for making credit card bill payments under the Amex’s Cash + Points program.
Priority Pass is a lounge access program that allows you international lounge access. This card comes with a complimentary membership of the Priority Pass with a waiver of the annual fee of USD 99. However, a charge of USD 32 is applicable on every lounge visit.
Yes. You don’t have to pay any extra fee for up to 2 add-on credit cards. A fee of Rs. 1500/card is applicable thereafter.
Yes. For payments up to Rs. 5000 you need not enter the PIN either.