American Express is globally known for its range of premium credit cards and the air mile benefits that they offer. In India, American Express currently has only one offering in the travel category- The American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card. Earlier, they were also offering the Jet Airways Platinum Credit Card, but after the airline suspended its operations in 2019, the same was discontinued and the JetAirways Platinum card’s customers were migrated to the Platinum Travel card. As is obvious from the name, It’s a travel credit card. It comes with attractive welcome benefits and plenty of milestone benefits in the form of Membership Rewards Points which can be redeemed not just for travel-related expenses like booking air tickets, hotels, and cars on the Amex Travel Online portal, but also for shopping vouchers on online shopping sites, e-vouchers on American Express’s online shopping portal, for offline shopping using INSTA rewards and also to make credit card bill payments under the Amex’s Cash + Points scheme. However, under the Cash + Points scheme, 1000 Membership Rewards Points are equivalent to Rs. 250. Apart from the welcome and milestone benefits, you also earn 2 Membership Rewards Point for every Rs. 100 spent using the card (with a few exceptions though).
American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card
Best Suited For
Rs. 3,500 (plus applicable taxes)
Reward Points |
- Welcome Gift of 10,000 Membership Rewards Points.
- 2 Membership Rewards Point for every Rs. 100 spent.
- Rewards Points based Milestone benefits on reaching milestones like expenditure of Rs. 1.9 lac / 4 lac in a membership year.
- Complimentary Taj Stay voucher on expenditure of Rs. 4 lac in a membership year.
- 8 domestic airport lounge access every year (max 2 per quarter).
- 10% cashback on OnePlus devices.
- 0% convenience fee at all HPCL fuel stations across India.
Rewards and Benefits
10,000 Membership Rewards Points
Movie & Dining
Up to 20% discount at select restaurants.
2 Membership Rewards Points for every Rs. 100 spent.
Membership Rewards Points can be redeemed for online shopping vouchers, INSTA rewards for offline purchases, transfer to various flight and hotels loyalty programmes and for making credit card bill payments under the Cash + Points scheme.
Complimentary domestic airport lounge access per year and Priority Pass membership for international lounge access. Taj Expenses e-gift card and Taj Stay voucher as milestone benefits (read below for details)
Domestic Lounge Access
8 complimentary domestic lounge access per year (max 2 every quarter).
International Lounge Access
Priority Pass Membership (lounge access program) with USD 99 annual fee waived off.
Zero Liability Protection
No liability on cardholder for fraudulent use provided the loss of card is reported within 3 days. Liability limited to Rs. 1000 if loss of card reported after 3 days.
Fees & Charges
Rs. 3,500 (plus applicable taxes)
Rs. 5,000 (plus applicable taxes)
Spend based Waiver
Rewards Redemption Fee
Rewards Redemption Fee
Foreign Currency Markup
3.5% of the transaction amount
3.5% per month
No fuel surcharge at HPCL fuel stations for transactions of up to Rs. 5,000, 1% surcharge on transactions above Rs. 5,000
Cash Advance Charge
3.5% of the transaction amount subject to a minimum charge of Rs. 250.
Add-on Card Fee
Nil up to 2 add-on cards, Rs. 1500/card thereafter.
American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card Welcome Benefit:
You get 10,000 American Express Membership Rewards Points as a welcome benefit which can be redeemed on e-commerce websites like Flipkart, for shopping e-vouchers from Amex’s store, offline payments using INSTA Pay, and for payment towards your card’s statement balance under the Cash + Points scheme. You get this welcome benefit only if you spend at least Rs. 50,00 in the first 2 months of the issuance of the card.
American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card Rewards:
Every Rs. 100 spent using American Express Platinum Travel credit card earns you 2 Membership Rewards Points.
- If you spend Rs. 1.9 lacs in a year, you are entitled to 15,000 Membership Rewards Points worth up to Rs. 7,500 (for redemption against Taj Stay Vouchers)
- Expenditure of Rs. 4 lacs entitles you to 25,000 Membership Rewards Points worth up to Rs. 12,500 (for redemption against Taj Stay Vouchers) and an additional Taj Stay Voucher worth Rs. 10,000.
- The Membership Rewards Points can be redeemed on popular e-commerce websites (like Flipkart), purchasing e-vouchers from Amex’s online shopping portal, INSTA purchases at offline stores, and also to make credit card bill payments under the Cash + Points scheme.
- Amex’s Membership Rewards Points can also be transferred to other air miles and hotel loyalty programs like Asia Miles, British Airways Executive Club, Club Vistara, Emirates, Skywards, Etihad Guest, Finnair Plus, InterMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Singapore KrisFlyer, Virgin Points, Marriott Bonovoy and Hilton Honors.
Movie and Dining Benefits:
You get up to a 20% discount on your dining bills at select partner restaurants on payment via the Platinum Travel Credit Card. Apart from this, American Express frequently comes up with attractive offers on food delivery portals like Swiggy and Qmin.
American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card Travel Benefits:
- It’s a travel credit card, so it comes with plenty of travel benefits like 8 domestic lounge access (2 per quarter) and a complimentary membership of Priority Pass, with USD 99 waived off (however a usage fee of USD 32 is payable for every lounge visit under the Priority Pass benefit) for international lounge.
- The Membership Rewards Points can be spent for hotel/flight/car bookings on the Amex Travel Online portal.
- Expenditure of Rs 4 lacs also entitles you to a Taj Stay voucher worth Rs. 10,000 from the Taj, SeleQtions and Vivanta hotels.
Fuel Surcharge Waiver:
You need not pay any fuel surcharge at any of the HPCL fuel stations across India for transactions up to Rs. 5000, however, a surcharge of 1% is payable for all transactions greater than Rs. 5000.
|Criteria||Salaried Employees||Self-Employed Individuals|
|Age||>18 Years||>18 Years|
|Income||Minimum Rs. 6,00,000 per annum||Minimum Rs. 6,00,000 per annum (as per ITR) and an at least 12 years old company.|
How to apply for American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card:
You can apply for an American Express Platinum credit card either online or offline. The application procedure for the American Express Travel Credit Card is simple. You need to provide a few documents including identity proof (like Aadhar card), address proof, PAN card and income proof and submit your application online. The American Express officials will contact you in case any additional documents are required. If your application is successful, you’ll receive your card within 15 days, otherwise, the Amex officials will get in touch with you within 90 days.
Although the annual fee of the American Express Platinum Travel credit card is slightly on the higher side (Rs. 5000 after the first year), it is a decent credit card for people with wanderlust and for those frequent fliers who travel on business trips. Apart from the travel benefits, the card also offers some shopping benefits, so it might also fit the needs of someone who loves to shop online. What do you think about this card? Do let us know in the comments, and if you’re an existing user or if you have used this credit card in the past, feel free to comment and let us know about your experience with the card.
The Membership Rewards Points that you get as the welcome benefit, milestone benefits, or for regular expenditures (at the rate of 2 Points for every Rs. 100 spent) can be redeemed either for shopping vouchers on e-commerce sites, e-vouchers on Amex’s shopping portal, offline payments using INSTA Pay and for making credit card bill payments under the Amex’s Cash + Points program.
Priority Pass is a lounge access program that allows you international lounge access. This card comes with a complimentary membership of the Priority Pass with a waiver of the annual fee of USD 99. However, a charge of USD 32 is applicable on every lounge visit.
Yes. You don’t have to pay any extra fee for up to 2 add-on credit cards. A fee of Rs. 1500/card is applicable thereafter.
Yes. For payments up to Rs. 5000 you need not enter the PIN either.