Your credit report is a document that contains all the information about your credit accounts, your payment behavior, credit utilization, and many more details. These are prepared by credit bureaus and the card issuers and money lenders check them to understand your creditworthiness. Your credit scores are also prepared on the basis of the information mentioned on your credit report and any inaccurate/missed information in it can impact your credit score badly. That’s why it is very important to check your credit reports regularly and if you find any errors on your credit report, you need to get them fixed immediately as it can affect your credit score. If you don’t know how you can get an error fixed on your credit report, go through the complete article to understand the same:
Commons Errors To Check For in Your Credit Report
- There can be mistakes in spelling your name, address, card issuer/money lender’s name.
- An account that you have closed but your credit reports shows that it’s still open.
- A transaction is repeated two or more times.
- Incorrect payment dates.
- The report shows a due payment that you have already paid for.
- Showing very old accounts.
- Incorrect credit limits.
- Inaccurate credit card balance.
How You Can Fix An Error on Your Credit Report
There are four major credit bureaus in India that prepare your credit report and only these reports are considered by the card issuers before approving/rejecting your credit card application. These 4 credit bureaus are: TransUnion CIBIL, Equifax, Experian, and CRIF Highmark. Following are the steps to get an error fixed on your credit report:
Steps To Fix Equifax Credit Report
- Find and download the dispute resolution form from the Equifax official website.
- Attach your identity proof (Voters ID, Pan Card, Driving License, or Passport) and address proof (Utility/telephonic bills or credit card statement) along with the dispute form.
- Write your additional queries (if any) on white paper and attach them to the form.
- You can send all the documents through email on [email protected] or through speed post/courier/speed post at the below-mentioned address:
Equifax Credit Information Services
Unit 932, 3rd Floor, Building No 9,
Solitaire Corporate Park,
Andheri East, Mumbai 4000093.
- You can also fill and submit the online dispute resolution form. Just make sure to fill in all the required fields carefully.
Steps To Fix CIBIL Credit Report
- Visit the TransUnion CIBIL official website.
- Log in to your CIBIL account.
- Under the ‘Credit Reports’ section, find and click on ‘Raise a dispute.’
- Fill in all the required details and choose the relevant section under which your dispute fits the best.
- To get inaccurate numerical data corrected, fill in the correct value that should be there.
- If you have provided all the necessary details, your form will most likely be accepted, otherwise, it might get rejected as well.
- If it is accepted, the corrections will be made to your CIBIL credit report.
Steps To Fix Experian Credit Report
- Visit the Experian official website and log in to your account.
- Find and click on the option’ credit information report.’
- On the top of your screen, you will see the option ‘dispute.’
- Click on ‘Raise a dispute.’
- Select the relevant category under which your dispute lies.
- Fill in all the required information and submit the form.
- Your dispute will be resolved if you have filled the form accurately.
Steps To Fix CRIF Highmark Credit Report
- From the top right corner of your CRIF credit report, note down your reference number.
- Write an email to [email protected] explaining your dispute. Write your name and your contact number at the beginning of the email and keep your reference number as the subject.
- A ticket will be raised for your dispute and you will get the ticket number through email.
- Your issue will be solved within 30 days and the ticket will be closed after that.
Now you might have understood why it is essential to check your credit reports from time to time. If you don’t do so, you will never know about the errors on your credit report and keep wondering why your credit score dropped down. All the credit bureaus provide you with a free credit report every year, so you should at least check that free report from each of the 4 bureaus and if you find any error, even a very little one, you must get it fixed. Don’t let your credit score go down just due to a small mistake on your credit report.