American Express SmartEarn credit card is a reward points-based credit card. Membership Reward Points can be earned while you make retail purchases using your credit card, and accelerated Membership Reward Points can be achieved while you spend on some specific website. With this credit card, you earn 10X Reward Points on popular platforms and brands like AJIO, Flipkart, Myntra, Uber, PVR, BookMyShow and Zomato. You can also earn 5X Reward Points on Amazon and Paytm. For foodies and youngsters, American Express has another great offer in which select SmartEarn Credit Card members also get a complimentary 3-month Zomato Gold membership.
It is a decent card for beginners, at least as far as American Express cards are concerned. You can also get the annual membership fee waived if you spend more than Rs. 40,000 within a year. It is worth considering if you’re a young professional and want to carry an American Express card in your wallet for its brand value. Read on more to learn about the American Express SmartEarn Credit Card.
American Express SmartEarn Credit Card
Best Suited For
Movie & Dining
10X Membership Rewards Points on spends with BookMyShow, Zomato and PVR Cinemas.
1 Membership Reward Point/Rs. 50 spent (with a few exceptions), 10X Reward Points on Flipkart, Uber, Zomato, AJIO, PVR, Blinkit and more.
Can be redeemed against online shopping vouchers, INSTA rewards for offline purchases, transferable to various flight and hotels loyalty programmes and for making credit card bill payments under the Cash + Points scheme.
10X Reward Points on spends on Uber (max cap of 500 Points)
Domestic Lounge Access
International Lounge Access
Zero cost liability if loss of card reported within 3 working days, post which max liability of the cardholder limited to Rs. 1,000.
Zero Liability Protection
Zero cost liability on reporting the loss of card within 3 working days, post which max liability of the cardholder limited to Rs. 1,000.
Spend Based Waiver
Annual renewal fee waived on spends of Rs. 40,000 in the previous year.
Rewards Redemption Fee
Rewards Redemption Fee
Foreign Currency Markup
3.50% on international transactions
3.5% per month
1% fuel surcharge waiver at HPCL fuel stations on transactions exceeding Rs. 5,000.
Cash Advance Charges
3.5%, subject to a minimum amount of Rs. 250
Add-on Card Fee
1 complimentary add-on card, Rs. 250/card thereafter.
- Rs. 500 cashback on eligible spends of Rs. 10,000 within 90 days of card issuance.
- 1 Membership Rewards point for every Rs. 50 spent with the card (except spends on insurance, fuel, utilities, cash transactions and EMI conversions)
- 10X accelerated Membership Rewards Points on Flipkart, Zomato, Uber and more.
- 5X Membership Rewards Points on every Rs. 50 spent on Amazon and Paytm.
- Renewal fee waived on the expenditure of Rs. 40,000 or above in the previous year.
- This card comes at a low joining fee of just Rs. 495. This is very attractive, especially for first-time credit card holders.
- This card is very beneficial for people who use Flipkart, Zomato, PVR and Uber, as it offers 10X reward points on purchases made from these platforms.
- There isn’t any domestic or international lounge access with the American Express SmartEarn Credit Card.
- It is primarily a credit card for shopping and doesn’t provide many additional benefits.
American Express SmartEarn Credit Card Features and Benefits
At a low joining fee of Rs. 495, this credit card comes loaded with many benefits and is highly suited for people looking to start their credit journey.
- Rs. 500 cashback as a Welcome Benefit on eligible spends of Rs. 10,000 in the first 90 days of the card issuance date.
- Eligible spends include all spends except express cash transactions, cash advances, drafts, fees and balance transfers.
Complimentary Zomato Gold Membership
- Select cardholders shall also receive a complimentary 3-month Zomato Gold Membership.
- With this, you can avail of free delivery, exclusive discounts (up to 40%) and VIP access during rush hours.
- You can also avail of additional Zomato Gold membership by making spends of Rs. 7,500 in a three-month period.
Annual membership fee waived off on eligible spends of Rs. 40,000 or above in the previous year of the card membership.
Movie and Dining Benefits
- 10X Membership Reward Points on Zomato, PVR and BookMyShow.
- Max cap of 500 RPs for Zomato.
- Max cap of 500 RPs for all other partner brands.
Here is how you can earn vouchers of up to Rs. 1500 with a spend of Rs 2.40 Lakh in a card membership year with the American Express SmartEarn Credit Card.
- Spend Rs. 1.20 Lakh in a card anniversary year and get a voucher of Rs. 500 from top brands.
- Reach the spending milestone of Rs. 1.80 Lakh and get an additional voucher of Rs. 500.
- An additional voucher of Rs. 500 can be availed on spends of Rs. 2.40 Lakh with the American Express SmartEarn Credit Card.
- These vouchers can be availed from the following brands- Amazon, Flipkart, PVR, MakeMyTrip, Lifestyle, Costa Coffee, Uber, Myntra and Shoppers Stop.
American Express SmartEarn Credit Card Rewards
- For every Rs. 50 spent using this credit card, you will earn 1 Membership Reward Point with the exception of spends on Fuel, Insurance, Utilities, Cash Transactions and EMI conversion at POS.
- 10X Membership Rewards Points on BookMyShow, Uber, PVR, AJIO, Blinkit, Myntra, Flipkart and Nykaa (Max cap 500 points for all brands combined).
- 10X Membership Rewards Points on Zomato (max cap of 500 points each month).
- 5X Membership Rewards Points on Paytm & Amazon (max 250 Points/month at this rate).
- You can earn a maximum of 1,250 Membership Rewards Points in a month at an accelerated rate if you spend Rs. 2,500 on Amazon and Flipkart combined (500 Membership Rewards Points), Rs. 2,500 on Uber rides (500 Membership Rewards Points) and Rs. 2500 on 5X partner merchants like Paytm, Swiggy, etc. (250 Membership Rewards Points).
- You can use your Membership Reward Points to pay your credit card charges.
- These Reward Points can also be used in the Membership Rewards catalogue, where you can choose from categories such as shopping and travel.
- You can even opt for e-vouchers of famous brands with your Reward Points.
- You can transfer the Membership Rewards Points to other air miles and hotel loyalty programs like Asia Miles, British Airways Executive Club, Emirates, Club Vistara, Skywards, Etihad Guest, Finnair Plus, InterMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Singapore KrisFlyer, Virgin Points, Marriott Bonovoy and Hilton Honors.
American Express SmartEarn Credit Card Eligibility
You must satisfy the following criteria to be eligible for this credit card-
- You must be a citizen of any of these cities – Delhi/NCR, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Coimbatore, Chandigarh, Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodara, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Nagpur, Mysuru, Trivandrum and Nasik.
- If you are a salaried employee, you must have an annual income of Rs. 4.5 lakh. If you are self-employed, you must have filed an income tax return of at least Rs. 6 lakh in the previous year, and your company must have been trading for at least a year now.
- You must have a savings or current account in India.
- You should have a good credit history.
- Your age should be 18 years or above.
Apply Now for the American Express SmartEarn Credit Card
Easily apply for the American Express SmartEarn Credit Card with Card Insider. On our platform, you can easily “Apply” for this card from the convenience of your mobile device or desktop.
Offline mode – the card can be applied at various AmEx kiosks. Fill out the physical credit card application form and provide the necessary documents.
American Express SmartEarn Credit Card Review
As it offers you a reasonably good reward rate and 10X and 5X rates on some of the famous brands, the American Express SmartEarn credit card can be considered one of the best entry-level cards in the market right now, particularly so because it is being offered by a brand like American Express, which is known globally for its premium credit cards. The only downside is that the monthly cap for maximum reward points is relatively low. You can earn 1,250 Membership Reward Points in a month on spends of Rs. 7,500 with the American Express SmartEarn Credit Card.
Still, as this credit card has one of the minimum income requirements (among American Express credit cards), if you’re just about to begin your credit journey and admire the brand value of American Express, this might be a good pick for you.
Tell us what you think about the American Express SmartEarn Credit Card. Do share your thoughts in the comments below.
American Express Membership Rewards Points do not expire and can be redeemed whenever you want to.
You get 1 add-on credit card for free. A fee of Rs. 250/card is chargeable thereafter.
Yes, the American Express SmartEarn Credit Card is enabled for contactless payments up to Rs. 5,000.
This credit card is available only to the residents of Delhi/NCR, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Indore, Coimbatore, Chandigarh, Ahmedabad, Mysuru, Vadodara, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Nasik, Nagpur, Trivandrum and Surat.
You can earn up to a maximum of 500 Reward Points on Zomato and 500 Reward Points on other brands with which you can earn accelerated Reward Points like Uber, Flipkart, Myntra, Ajio, etc. A monthly cap of 250 points is applicable for 5X partner brands like Amazon and Paytm.