The Platinum Reserve credit card is the second most premium credit card that American Express offers, only next to the Platinum card, which is a Charge Card (Charge cards are those that have a variable credit limit). Looking at the benefits that it offers, from Taj Epicure InnerCircle membership to the Hotel Collection program, one might consider it a travel credit card, although it does offer many other benefits including exclusive dining benefits and complimentary rounds of golf and movie vouchers. Apart from all these benefits, AmEx cards are known for their brand value. Many prefer AmEx cards over Visa and MasterCard just for that reason. Here we’ve covered in detail all the features and benefits that this card has to offer. Read on to find out whether it fits your needs.
American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card
Best Suited For
Travel | Dining | Shopping |
Rs. 5,000 (plus applicable taxes)
Reward Points |
- 11,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points as a welcome gift.
- 1 Membership Rewards Point for every Rs. 50 spent with the card (with a few exceptions).
- Monthly Flipkart/BookMyShow vouchers as milestone benefit.
- Complimentary (limited) visits to domestic airport lounges and a complimentary Priority Pass membership.
- Complimentary membership of Taj Epicure InnerCircle.
- 2 complimentary rounds of golf every month at 32 premium golf courses across India.
- Dining offers with complimentary membership of EazyDiner Prime.
- 24×7 American Express concierge service.
- Air accident insurance cover worth Rs. 1 crore.
Rewards and Benefits
11,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points on realization of the joining fee, subject to a minimum expenditure of Rs. 30,000 within 90 days of card issuance.
Movie & Dining
BookMyShow vouchers worth Rs. 500 on the monthly expenditure of Rs. 25,000, complimentary Taj Epicure membership, complimentary membership of EazyDiner Prime.
1 Membership Reward Point for every Rs. 50 spent with the card except for spends on fuel, utilities, insurance, cash transactions, and EMI conversion at Point of Sale.
Membership Rewards Points redeemable for online shopping vouchers, INSTA rewards for offline purchases, transfer to various flight and hotels loyalty programs and for making credit card bill payments under the Cash + Points scheme.
Complimentary domestic lounge access annually, Priority Pass membership, Complimentary Taj Epicure Membership
2 complimentary rounds of golf per month at 32 premium golf destinations in India with a 100% waiver on the green fee.
Domestic Lounge Access
12 complimentary domestic lounge visits (limited to 3 per quarter)
International Lounge Access
Complimentary Priority Pass membership. USD 32 / person / visit chargable.
Air accident cover worth Rs. 1 crore, purchase protection against loss, damage, or burglary of any item purchased using the card
Zero Liability Protection
No liability on cardholder for fraudulent use provided the loss of card is reported within 3 days. Liability limited to Rs. 1000 if loss of card reported after 3 days.
Fees & Charges
Rs. 5,000 (plus applicable taxes)
Rs. 10,000 (plus applicable taxes)
Spend based Waiver
Rewards Redemption Fee
Rewards Redemption Fee
Foreign Currency Markup
3.5% of the transaction amount
3.5% per month
Waived at HPCL fuel stations for transactions up to Rs. 5,000, 1% surcharge on BPCL and IOCL stations and 2.5% surcharge at all other fuel stations.
Cash Advance Charge
3.5% of the advanced amount, subject to a minimum amount of Rs. 250.
Add-on Card Fee
4 add-on cards free, Rs. 1,500 / card chargable for each additional card.
American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card Welcome Benefit:
You get 11,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points as a welcome benefit on the expenditure of Rs. 30,000 within 90 days of the card issuance, subject to realization of the joining fee.
- You can choose between a Flipkart and a BookMyShow voucher worth Rs. 500 on the expenditure of Rs. 25,000 in a calendar month.
- Taj stay voucher worth Rs. 10,000 on the expenditure of a minimum of Rs. 5 lakhs in a membership year (subject to realization of the annual membership fee).
American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card Rewards:
You earn 1 Membership Rewards Point for every Rs. 50 spent with this card with the exception of spends on fuel, insurance, utilities, cash transactions and EMI conversion at Point of Sale.
The Membership Rewards Points earned can be –
- redeemed for purchasing e-vouchers from Amex’s online shopping portal, INSTA purchases at offline stores, and also to make credit card bill payments under the Cash + Points scheme.
- transferred to other air miles and hotel loyalty programs like Asia Miles, British Airways Executive Club, Club Vistara, Emirates, Skywards, Etihad Guest, Finnair Plus, InterMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Singapore KrisFlyer, Virgin Points, Marriott Bonovoy and Hilton Honors.
The monetary value of the Membership Rewards Points differs based on the mode of redemption of the Points.
- 12 complimentary domestic airport lounge visits (limited to 3 per quarter) to American Express lounges as well as other airport lounges across India.
- Complimentary Priority Pass membership for international lounge access at 1200+ VIP lounges across 120+ countries around the world. USD 32 will be charged per visit per guest as the usage fee for international lounge visits under the Priority Pass program.
- Complimentary Taj Epicure membership that gives you special privileges including a 10% discount on stays, late check-outs and unlimited validity of Taj InnerCircle Points.
- USD 100 hotel credit and a complimentary room upgrade at luxurious hotel chains including Hyatt & Hilton Hotels under the Hotel Collection program.
Movie and Dining Benefits:
- You can choose between a BookMyShow and a Flipkart voucher worth Rs. 500 on a minimum monthly expenditure of Rs. 25,000.
- Complimentary Taj Epicure Program with exclusive benefits on dine-outs at bars, restaurants and spas across Taj, SeleQtions and Vivanta Hotels including 50% discount on first 3 dining transactions, 2 room upgrade vouchers and happy hours from 6 PM to 8 PM at participating bars.
- Complimentary membership of EazyDiner Prime which entitles you to benefits like a minimum 25% off on Prime restaurants, complimentary drinks with every booking,
- 4 vouchers worth Rs. 500 each which can be used for prepaid EazySave bookings, on a minimum transaction of Rs. 2,000.
- 20% cashback (max Rs. 300) at select Prime restaurants up to 5 times in a membership year.
- Two complimentary rounds of golf every month at 32 of the top golf destinations in India with a 100% waiver on the green fee.
- Primary and add-on card members can also get golf lessons at a discounted price.
You get a global 24×7 Platinum concierge service with this credit card. You’ll get assistance regarding-
- Delivery of flowers and gifts
- Booking movie tickets
- Arranging a round of golf
- Booking a spa session at participating partners
- Dining reservations
You can avail of the American Express concierge service by dialing 1800-180-1030 or 1800-419-1030.
- Personal air-accident cover worth Rs. 1 crore (applicable only in case of loss of life).
- Purchase protection in case an item (purchased via the credit card) is stolen due to burglary or damages or breaks due to fire, earthquake, flood, storm, cyclone, etc. within 60 days of purchase. In such a case the amount paid may be refunded.
- Both these insurance benefits are provided in partnership with ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Limited.
- No fuel surcharge at HPCL fuel stations for transactions up to Rs. 5,000 (1% surcharge applicable thereafter).
- 1% fuel surcharge at BPCL and IOCL fuel stations (subject to a minimum surcharge of Rs. 10).
- 2.5% surcharge at all other fuel stations (subject to a minimum surcharge of Rs. 10).
Zero Liability Protection:
Cardmember shall not be liable for any fraudulent transaction if loss of card is reported within 3 working days, otherwise, the liability of the cardmember is limited to Rs. 1,000.
American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card Eligibility:
Eligibility for this credit card as per the table below-
|Criteria||Salaried Employees||Self-Employed Individuals|
|Age||>18 Years||>18 Years|
|Income||Minimum Rs. 6,00,000 per annum||Minimum Rs. 6,00,000 per annum (as per ITR) and an at least 12 years old company.|
How to apply:
You can apply for American Express credit cards either online or offline. The application procedure for the American Express Reserve credit card is simple. You need to provide a few documents including identity proof (like Aadhar card), address proof, PAN card and income proof and submit your application online. The American Express officials will contact you in case any additional documents are required. If your application is successful, you’ll receive your card within 15 days, otherwise, the Amex officials will get in touch with you within 90 days.
American Express has a dedicated helpline for their Platinum Reserve credit card customers. You may dial 1800 180 1030 (toll-free), 1800 419 1030 (toll-free), 0124-280 1030 to report the loss of card, or in case you need any assistance. These numbers are operational 24×7.
If you look at the travel-related benefits that this card offers, you might find a resemblance between the Platinum Travel card and this one, with the former offering very similar benefits at half the annual membership fee. The reward rate for both the cards is also the same (1 Membership Reward Point for every Rs. 50 spent). So if travel benefits is all you need from your credit card, you might consider the Platinum Travel card instead. We’ve already covered it in one of our earlier posts. But, if you’re looking for a premium credit card that comes packed with all kinds of benefits, including some exclusive travel privileges, this card is certainly worth looking at. If we leave behind the extra travel benefits that this card offers, it is in direct competition with HDFC’s Infinia and ICICI’s Emerald credit cards. If you’re one of those people for whom the AmEx logo increases the worth of their wallet, you can pick this one without a second thought. It’s certainly not a bad deal, at least as far as premium cards are concerned. For all others, HDFC’s Infinia and ICICI’s Emerald are also worth consideration. What do you feel about this premium offering by American Express? Do let us know in the comments. Also, what kind of benefits do you look for in a premium credit card?
American Express Membership Rewards Points never expire.
Yes, you can pay your credit card bill using the Membership Rewards Points that you had earned. The Points are adjusted against your card’s statement balance.
You get complimentary Priority Pass membership with this credit card, but you have to pay a usage charge of USD 32 per head per visit.
You can get up to 4 complimentary add-on credit cards, post which you’ll have to pay Rs. 1,500 per add-on card.
American Express credit cards are available only in Delhi/NCR, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Indore, Coimbatore, Chandigarh/Tricity, Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodra, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Nagpur, Nasik, Trivandrum and Mysuru subject to conditions.
Yes, this card does support contactless payment. You need not even enter the PIN for transactions up to Rs. 5,000.