The Gold Card by American Express is a Charge Credit Card that AmEx offers in India, the other being the Platinum Card. Platinum card is a more premium offering and offers better rewards. The unique feature of these Charge Cards is that they don’t come with any pre-set credit limit. The credit limit is flexible and changes according to the cardmember’s purchasing habits, finances, credit score and account history.
Despite being the lesser premium of the two Charge Cards, the Gold Card also comes packed with many premium privileges (travel and dining benefits, in particular). Recently, American Express changed the offer/discounts catalogue for the Gold Card, making it an even more lucrative offering. Whether you are a shopping enthusiast or an avid vacationer, this card offers exciting benefits.
Keep reading to know all about the benefits and charges of the American Express Gold Charge Card.
American Express Gold Charge Card
Best Suited For
Travel | Shopping |
Movie & Dining
Up to 25% off on orders from The Oberoi Gurgaon, The Leela and many other partner restaurants, up to 20% off on other select restaurants.
1 Membership Rewards Point per Rs. 50 spent with the card, 5X Membership Rewards Points on Rewards Multiplier Portal
Membership Rewards Points can be redeemed for travel, accessories, and dining on AmEx’s Membership Rewards Redemption portal, and against fabulous 18 and 24 Karat collection.
10% discount on Air Vistara tickets, discounts in partnership with some of the most premium hotel chains.
Domestic Lounge Access
International Lounge Access
Zero Liability Protection
On reporting the issue to the bank within 3 days, the cardholder will n to liable for any transactions, otherwise, the maximum liability of up to Rs. 1,000 will fall on the cardholder.
Spend Based Waiver
Rewards Redemption Fee
Rewards Redemption Fee
Foreign Currency Markup
3.5% of the transaction amount
3.5% per month
Waived at HPCL fuel stations for transactions up to Rs. 5,000, 1% surcharge on BPCL and IOCL stations, and 2.5% surcharge at all other fuel stations.
Cash Advance Charges
3.5% of withdrawal amount subject to a minimum amount of Rs. 250
Add-on Card Fee
1 complimentary, Rs. 1,000/card fee applicable thereafter
- 4,000 Bonus Membership Reward Points as a welcome gift.
- 5,000 Bonus Membership Reward Points after first-year card renewal on the realization of the annual fee.
- 1,000 Bonus Membership Rewards Points on completing six transactions of Rs. 1,000 or above in a month.
- 1 Membership Reward Point on every Rs. 50 you spend using the card, excluding spends on insurance and cash transactions.
- 5X Membership Reward Points on all purchases through the Reward Multiplier portal.
- Discounts in partnership with some of the most premium hotel chains.
- Up to 25% off on orders from The Oberoi Gurgaon, The Leela, The Lodhi, and many other premium partners. Up to 20% discount on dining at many other select restaurants.
- Choice to pay the card membership fee monthly (Rs. 375/month).
- There is no pre-set credit limit.
- Fuel surcharge waived at HPCL fuel stations.
- There are many travel and dining benefits provided with this card.
- Earn 5X rewards with the reward multiplier. You can earn more points while shopping with popular brands like Apple and Flipkart.
- This card has a low joining fee of Rs. 1,000.
- Even though this card has some travel benefits, there isn’t any international or domestic lounge access provided with this card.
American Express Gold Charge Card Features & Benefits
You get 4,000 Membership Rewards Points as a Welcome Benefit on spending Rs. 10,000 within 90 days with this credit card.
You get 1,000 Membership Rewards Points every month on completing six transactions worth Rs. 1,000 each during each calendar month on your American Express Gold credit card.
- Get $100 credit to spend on resort activities, spas, and dining when you spend two consecutive nights at over 400 hotels, including Hilton and Hyatt.
- 15% off on the best available room rate/breakfast at The Leela (promo code AMEXSTAY to be used).
- Get a 25% discount on your stay at Pallazo Versace
- Up to 20% off on all Saffron Stays properties.
- Up to 15% off on booking at least two nights stay at Vista Rooms properties
- Get a 20% discount at Lodhi on select room categories and 25% off on Spa services.
- 20% discount on dining bills at select partner restaurants.
- Up to 25% off on order-ins from The Leela, The Oberoi Gurgaon, The Lodhi, Hilton, Accor, Roseate, and Qmin.
- Up to 50% discount for up to 10 guests at the Lodhi.
- There is no fuel surcharge on fuel transactions up to Rs. 5,000 at HPCL Petrol pumps (1% surcharge applicable thereafter).
- 1% fuel surcharge waiver for fuel transactions at BPCL and IOCL fuel stations (subject to a minimum surcharge of Rs. 10).
- 2.5% surcharge waiver at all other fuel stations (subject to a minimum surcharge of Rs. 10).
Zero Cost Liability Protection
- If the loss is reported to the bank within three working days, the liability of the cardholder would be zero. Otherwise, if the issue is noted after three days, the detriment of the cardholder would be limited to Rs. 1,000.
American Express Gold Charge Card Rewards
- 1 Reward Point on spending Rs. 50 using the card.
- You also earn 1 Membership Rewards Points every time you spend Rs. 50 on utilities and fuel, but the points are capped at 10,000 and 5,000 Points, respectively, for the two categories.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards Points for every purchase through the Rewards Multiplier portal. Shop from popular brands such as Flipkart and Apple.
No reward points are earned on insurance premium payments and cash transactions.
You can redeem the Membership Reward Points-
- For INSTA purchases at offline stores, purchasing e-vouchers from Amex’s online shopping portal, and making credit card bill payments (under the Cash + Points scheme).
- Transfer to other air miles and hotel loyalty programs like British Airways Executive Club, Asia Miles, Club Vistara, Emirates, Skywards, Finnair Plus, InterMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Etihad Guest, Singapore KrisFlyer, Virgin Points, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonovoy.
18 & 24 Karat Gold Collection
Redeem your Membership Rewards point from the fabulous 18 & 24 Karat gold collection.
18 Karat Gold/18,000 Membership Rewards Points
Choose from the following rewards with 18,000 Membership Rewards points-
- Taj Voucher Worth Rs. 9,000
- Amazon Gift Card Worth Rs. 7,000
- Myntra Voucher Worth Rs.8,000
- Flipkart Voucher Worth Rs. 7,000
- Shoppers Stop Voucher Worth Rs. 8,000
24 Karat Gold/24,000 Membership Rewards Points
With 24,000 Membership Rewards points, you can select from the following-
- Tanishq Diamond Jewelry Voucher Rs. 10,000
- Vistara Voucher Worth Rs. 11,000
- Flipkart Voucher Worth Rs. 9,000
- Shoppers Stop Voucher Worth Rs. 11,000
- Taj Voucher Worth Rs. 14,000
- Amazon Gift Card Worth Rs. 9,000
American Express Gold Card Eligibility Criteria
Given below are the eligibility criteria for an American Express Gold Card-
- Should be above the age of 18,
- Should have an annual income of Rs. 6 Lakh or above,
- Should be a resident of India,
- Should have a current or savings account in India,
- Should have a decent credit score and no payment defaults,
- If self-employed, the company should have been trading for a period of no less than 12 months.
Please keep in mind that currently American Express Gold Card is available in the following cities only – Delhi/NCR, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Indore, Coimbatore, Chandigarh/Tricity, Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodara, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Ernakulam, Vijayawada, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Nagpur, Nasik, Trivandrum, Mysuru, Cuttack & Vizag.
How to Apply for the American Express Gold Card?
If you want to apply for the American Express Gold Card, there are both online as well as offline methods. Click here to apply now for your Amex Gold Card. Keep your Pan Card handy while applying for the American Express Gold Card. If your application is accepted, the card will be delivered to you within 15 days, or Amex officials will get in touch with you within 90 days.
The offline application process for the Amex Gold card is straightforward. All you need to do is to provide a few documents like identity proof like an Aadhar card, address proof, PAN card, and income proof and submit your application. In case Amex requires any additional documents, they may contact you for the same.
American Express Customer Care
American Express offers a devoted customer care helpline for their Gold Card members. If you need any assistance regarding your Gold Card or even to report the lost or stolen card, you may contact the AmEx customer care support team at 1800 419 2122 (Toll-Free) or 0124 673 6600.
American Express Gold Card Review
Like most other American Express credit cards, you get a decent reward rate of 1 Membership Rewards Point per Rs. 50 spent using the card. The recent changes in the offers and discounts that come bundled with this card have made it a very attractive offering in the sub-premium segment, particularly for frequent flyers and for those who love dining out with friends and family, as it offers so many travel and dining benefits.
Share your views on the AmEx Gold Card in the comment section below. If you are an existing cardholder, then share your experience with the card with others.
The American Express Membership Rewards Points are valid for lifetime, i.e, they never expire.
No, the Amex Gold card does not offer any complimentary access to airport lounges.
American Express offers 2 Charge cards in India- Gold and Platinum. The unique feature of these cards is that they don’t come with any pre-set credit limit (it is flexible according to your usage pattern).
American Express currently issues credit cards only to the residents of residents of Mumbai, Delhi/NCR, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Coimbatore, Indore, Chandigarh/Tricity, Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodra, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Ernakulam, Vijaywada, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Nagpur, Nasik, Trivandrum, Mysuru, Cuttack & Vizag
Yes, for transactions up to Rs. 5,000 the card supports contactless payments.