The Gold Card by American Express is also a Charge Credit Cards that AmEx offers in India, the other one being the Platinum Card. Platinum card is a more premium offering and offers better rewards. The unique feature of these Charge Cards is that they don’t come with any pre-set credit limit (the credit limit is flexible and keeps changing according to the cardmember’s purchasing habits.). Despite being the lesser premium of the two Charge Cards, the Gold Card also comes packed with a plethora of premium privileges (travel and dining benefits in particular). Recently, American Express made some changes in the offer/discounts catalog for the Gold Card, making it an even more lucrative offering. To know more about the recently added offers and benefits, you can check out this blog post regarding the same.
American Express Gold Card
Best Suited For
Travel | Shopping |
Rs. 1,000 (plus applicable taxes)
Reward Points |
- 4,000 Bonus Membership Reward Points as a welcome gift.
- 5,000 Bonus Membership Reward Points after first-year card renewal on the realization of the annual fee.
- 1,000 Bonus Membership Rewards Points on completing 6 transactions of Rs. 1,000 or above in a month.
- 1 Membership Reward Point on every Rs. 50 you spend using the card, excluding spends on insurance and cash transactions.
- 5X Membership Reward Points on all purchases through the Reward Multiplier portal.
- 10% off on domestic and international flight bookings with Vistara.
- Discounts in partnership with some of the most premium hotel chains.
- Up to 25% off on orders from The Oberoi Gurgaon, The Leela, The Lodhi, and many other premium partners. Up to 20% discount on dining at many other select restaurants.
- Choice to pay the card membership fee monthly (Rs. 375/month).
- No pre-set credit limit.
- Fuel surcharge waiver at HPCL fuel stations.
Rewards and Benefits
4,000 Bonus Membership Rewards Points
Movie & Dining
Up to 25% off on orders from The Oberoi Gurgaon, The Leela and many other partner restaurants, up to 20% off on other select restaurants.
1 Membership Rewards Point per Rs. 50 spent with the card, 5X Membership Rewards Points on Rewards Multiplier Portal
Membership Rewards Points can be redeemed for travel, accessories, and dining on AmEx’s Membership Rewards Redemption portal, and against fabulous 18 and 24 Karat collection.
10% discount on Air Vistara tickets, discounts in partnership with some of the most premium hotel chains.
Domestic Lounge Access
International Lounge Access
Zero Liability Protection
On reporting the issue to the bank within 3 days, the cardholder will n to liable for any transactions, otherwise, the maximum liability of up to Rs. 1,000 will fall on the cardholder.
Fees & Charges
Rs. 1,000 (plus applicable taxes)
Rs. 4,500 annually or Rs. 375 per month (plus applicable taxes)
Spend based Waiver
Rewards Redemption Fee
Rewards Redemption Fee
Foreign Currency Markup
3.5% of the transaction amount
3.5% per month
Waived at HPCL fuel stations for transactions up to Rs. 5,000, 1% surcharge on BPCL and IOCL stations, and 2.5% surcharge at all other fuel stations.
Cash Advance Charge
3.5% of withdrawal amount subject to a minimum amount of Rs. 250
Add-on Card Fee
1 complimentary, Rs. 1,000/card fee applicable thereafter
American Express Gold Card Welcome Benefits:
You get 4,000 Membership Rewards Points as Welcome Benefit on spending Rs. 10,000 within 90 days with this credit card.
You get 1,000 Membership Rewards Points every month on completing 6 transactions worth Rs. 1,000 each during each calendar month on your American Express Gold credit card.
American Express Gold Card Rewards:
- 1 Reward Point on spending Rs. 50 using the card.
- No reward points earned on insurance premium payments and on cash transactions.
- You also earn 1 Membership Rewards Points every time you spend Rs. 50 on utilities and fuel, but the Points are capped at 10,000 and 5,000 Points respectively for the two categories.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards Points for every purchase through the Rewards Multiplier portal.
You can redeem the Membership Reward Points-
- for INSTA purchases at offline stores, purchasing e-vouchers from Amex’s online shopping portal, and making credit card bill payments (under the Cash + Points scheme).
- or transfer to other air miles and hotel loyalty programs like British Airways Executive Club, Asia Miles, Club Vistara, Emirates, Skywards, Finnair Plus, InterMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Etihad Guest, Singapore KrisFlyer, Virgin Points, Hilton Honors, and Marriott Bonovoy.
- redeemed from the fabulous 18 & 24 Karat gold collection.
- 10% discount on Air Vistara tickets using the promo code VISGOLD21.
- 20% off stays and Food and beverages at Heritage Hotels and Resorts with Promo code AMEX20.
- 15% off on the best available room rate/breakfast at The Leela (promo code AMEXSTAY to be used).
- 20% off on Time to Mindful Vacations.
- Up to 25% off on AtmantanSpe Resorn.
- Up to 50% off on OYO Rooms with promo code AMEXGOLD.
- Exclusive discounts on premium hotel chain partners in India including Heritage Hotels and Resorts, The Leela, Agoda, Soukya, Atmantan Spa Resort, Wellness, Cabo Serai, Assam Bengal Navigation, CGH Earth, Saffron Stays, Aquaterra, Vista Rooms.
- 20% discount on dining bills at select partner restaurants.
- Up to 25% off on order-ins from The Leela, The Oberoi Gurgaon, The Lodhi, Hilton, Accor, Roseate, and Qmin.
- Up to 50% discount for up to 10 guests at the Lodhi.
- No fuel surcharge on fuel transactions up to Rs. 5,000 at HPCL Petrol pumps, (1% surcharge applicable thereafter).
- 1% fuel surcharge waiver for fuel transactions at BPCL and IOCL fuel stations (subject to a minimum surcharge of Rs. 10).
- 2.5% surcharge waiver at all other fuel stations (subject to a minimum surcharge of Rs. 10).
Zero Cost Liability Protection:
If the loss is reported to the bank within 3 working days, the liability of the cardholder would be zero. Otherwise, if the issue is reported after 3 days, the liability of the cardholder would be limited to Rs. 1,000.
American Express Gold Card Eligibility Criteria:
|Criteria||Salaried Employees||Self-Employed Individuals|
|Age||>18 Years||>18 Years|
|Income||Minimum Rs. 6,00,000 per annum||Minimum Rs. 6,00,000 per annum (as per ITR) and an at least 12 years old company.|
American Express credit cards can be issued only to the residents of Delhi/NCR, Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai, Pune, Jaipur, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Indore, Coimbatore, Chandigarh/Tricity, Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodra, Bhopal, Ernakulam, Bhubaneshwar, Vijaywada, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Nagpur, Nasik, Trivandrum, Vizag, Cuttack & Mysuru.
How to apply:
If you want to apply for the American Express credit cards there are both online as well as offline methods. The application process for the Amex Gold card is very simple. All you need to do is to provide very few documents like identity proof (like Aadhar card), address proof, PAN card, and income proof and submit your application online. In case, Amex requires any additional documents, they may contact you for the same. If your application is accepted, the card will be delivered to you within 15 days or Amex officials will get in touch with you within 90 days.
American Express offers a devoted customer care helpline for their Gold cardmembers. If you need any assistance regarding your Gold card or even to report the lost or stolen card, you may contact the AmEx customer care support team at 1800 419 2122 (Toll-Free) or 0124-280 1122.
Like most other American Express credit cards, you get a decent reward rate of 1 Membership Rewards Point per Rs. 50 spent using the card. The recent changes in the offers and discounts that come bundled with this card have made it a very attractive offering in the sub-premium segment, particularly for frequent fliers and for those who love dining out with friends and family as it offers so many travel and dining benefits. Share your views on the AmEx Gold Card in the comment section below. If you are an existing cardholder then share your experience with the card with others.
The American Express Membership Rewards Points are valid for lifetime, i.e, they never expire.
No, the Amex Gold card does not offer any complimentary access to airport lounges.
American Express offers 2 Charge cards in India- Gold and Platinum. The unique feature of these cards is that they don’t come with any pre-set credit limit (it is flexible according to your usage pattern).
American Express currently issues credit cards only to the residents of residents of Mumbai, Delhi/NCR, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Coimbatore, Indore, Chandigarh/Tricity, Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodra, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Ernakulam, Vijaywada, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Nagpur, Nasik, Trivandrum, Mysuru, Cuttack & Vizag
Yes, for transactions up to Rs. 5,000 the card supports contactless payments.