The Gold Card by American Express is one of the two Charge Credit Cards that AmEx offers in India, the other one being the Platinum Card. Platinum card is a more premium offering and comes with better rewards. The unique feature of these Charge Cards is that they don’t come with any pre-set credit limit (the credit limit is flexible and keeps changing according to the cardmember’s purchasing habits.). Despite being the lesser premium of the two Charge Cards, the Gold Card also comes packed with a plethora of premium privileges (travel and dining benefits in particular). Recently, American Express made some changes in the offer/discounts catalog for the Gold Card, making it an even more lucrative offering. To know more about the recently added offers and benefits, you can check out this blog post regarding the same.
American Express Gold Card
Best Suited For
Travel | Shopping |
Rs. 1,000 (plus applicable taxes)
Reward Points |
- Welcome Benefit of 4,000 Bonus Membership Reward Points.
- 5,000 Bonus Membership Reward Points after first-year card renewal on the realization of the annual fee.
- 1,000 Bonus Membership Rewards Points on completing 6 transactions of Rs. 1,000 or above in a month.
- 1 Membership Reward Point per Rs. 50 spent using the card, except spends on insurance and cash transactions.
- 5X Membership Reward Points on all purchases through the Reward Multiplier portal.
- 10% off on domestic and international flight bookings with Vistara.
- Discounts in partnership with some of the most premium hotel chains.
- Up to 25% off on orders from The Oberoi Gurgaon, The Leela, The Lodhi, and many other premium partners. Up to 20% discount on dining bills at many other select restaurants.
- Option to pay the card membership fee monthly (Rs. 375/month).
- No pre-set credit limit.
- Fuel surcharge waiver at HPCL fuel stations.
Rewards and Benefits
4,000 Bonus Membership Rewards Points
Movie & Dining
Up to 25% off on orders from The Oberoi Gurgaon, The Leela and many other partner restaurants, up to 20% off on other select restaurants.
1 Membership Rewards Point for every Rs. 50 spent with the card, 5X Membership Rewards Points on Rewards Multiplier Portal
Membership Rewards Points redeemable against travel, dining and accessories on the AmEx’s Membership Rewards Redemption portal, and against fabulous 18 and 24 Karat collection.
10% discount on Air Vistara tickets, discounts in partnership with some of the most premium hotel chains.
Domestic Lounge Access
International Lounge Access
Zero Liability Protection
Cardholder not liable for any fraudulent transaction if loss of card is reported within 3 working days. Maximum liability of up to Rs. 1,000 on reporting after 3 days.
Fees & Charges
Rs. 1,000 (plus applicable taxes)
Rs. 4,500 annually or Rs. 375 per month (plus applicable taxes)
Spend based Waiver
Rewards Redemption Fee
Rewards Redemption Fee
Foreign Currency Markup
3.5% of the transaction amount
3.5% per month
Waived at HPCL fuel stations for transactions up to Rs. 5,000, 1% surcharge on BPCL and IOCL stations and 2.5% surcharge at all other fuel stations.
Cash Advance Charge
3.5% of withdrawal amount subject to a minimum amount of Rs. 250
Add-on Card Fee
1 complimentary, Rs. 1,000/card fee applicable thereafter
American Express Gold Card Welcome Benefits:
You get 4,000 Membership Rewards Points as Welcome Benefit with this credit card.
You get 1,000 Membership Rewards Points every month on completing 6 transactions worth Rs. 1,000 each during each calendar month on your American Express Gold credit card.
American Express Gold Card Rewards:
- 1 Reward Point for every Rs. 50 spent using the card.
- No reward points earned on insurance premium payments and on cash transactions.
- You also earn 1 Membership Rewards Points for every Rs. 50 spent on utilities and fuel, but the Points are capped at 10,000 and 5,000 Points respectively for the two categories.
- You earn 5X Membership Rewards Points on every purchase through the Rewards Multiplier portal.
The Membership Rewards Points earned can be –
- redeemed for purchasing e-vouchers from Amex’s online shopping portal, INSTA purchases at offline stores, and also to make credit card bill payments under the Cash + Points scheme.
- transferred to other air miles and hotel loyalty programs like Asia Miles, British Airways Executive Club, Club Vistara, Emirates, Skywards, Etihad Guest, Finnair Plus, InterMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Singapore KrisFlyer, Virgin Points, Marriott Bonovoy and Hilton Honors.
- redeemed from the fabulous 18 and 24 Karat gold collection.
- 10% discount on Air Vistara tickets using the promo code VISGOLD21.
- 20% off stays and Food and beverages at Heritage Hotels and Resorts with Promo code AMEX20.
- 15% off on the best available room rate/breakfast at The Leela (promo code AMEXSTAY to be used).
- 20% off on Time to Mindful Vacations.
- Up to 25% off on AtmantanSpe Resorn.
- Up to 50% off on OYO Rooms with promo code AMEXGOLD.
- Exclusive discounts in partnership with some of the most premium hotel chains in India including Heritage Hotels and Resorts, Agoda, The Leela, Soukya, Atmantan Spa Resort, CGH Earth Wellness, Cabo Serai, Assam Bengal Navigation, Saffron Stays, Aquaterra, Vista Rooms.
- 20% discount on dining bills at select partner restaurants.
- Up to 25% off on order-ins from The Leela, The Oberoi Gurgaon, The Lodhi, Hilton, Roseate, Accor, and Qmin.
- Up to 50% discount for up to 10 guests at the Lodhi.
- No fuel surcharge at HPCL fuel stations for transactions up to Rs. 5,000 (1% surcharge applicable thereafter).
- 1% fuel surcharge at BPCL and IOCL fuel stations (subject to a minimum surcharge of Rs. 10).
- 2.5% surcharge at all other fuel stations (subject to a minimum surcharge of Rs. 10).
Zero Cost Liability Protection:
Cardmember shall not be liable for any fraudulent transaction if loss of card is reported within 3 working days, otherwise, the liability of the cardmember is limited to Rs. 1,000.
American Express Gold Card Eligibility Criteria:
|Criteria||Salaried Employees||Self-Employed Individuals|
|Age||>18 Years||>18 Years|
|Income||Minimum Rs. 6,00,000 per annum||Minimum Rs. 6,00,000 per annum (as per ITR) and an at least 12 years old company.|
American Express credit cards can be issued only to the residents of Delhi/NCR, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Indore, Coimbatore, Chandigarh/Tricity, Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodra, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Ernakulam, Vijaywada, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Nagpur, Nasik, Trivandrum , Mysuru , Cuttack & Vizag.
How to apply:
You can apply for American Express credit cards either online or offline. The application procedure for the American Express Gold credit card is simple. You need to provide a few documents including identity proof (like Aadhar card), address proof, PAN card and income proof and submit your application online. The American Express officials will contact you in case any additional documents are required. If your application is successful, you’ll receive your card within 15 days, otherwise, the Amex officials will get in touch with you within 90 days.
American Express offers a dedicated customer care helpline for their Gold cardmembers. If you need any assistance regarding your Gold card or to report the loss of card, you may contact the AmEx customer care support team at 1800 419 2122 (Toll-Free) or 0124-280 1122.
Like most other American Express credit cards, you get a decent reward rate of 1 Membership Rewards Point per Rs. 50 spent using the card. The recent changes in the offers and discounts that come bundled with this card have made it a very attractive offering in the sub-premium segment, particularly for frequent fliers and for those who love dining out with friends and family as it offers so many travel and dining benefits. What do you think about this offering by American Express? Do let us know in the comments. Existing cardholders feel free to share your experience.
American Express Membership Rewards Points never expire.
No, you don’t get any complimentary domestic or international airport lounge access with this credit card.
American Express offers 2 Charge cards in India- Gold and Platinum. The unique feature of these cards is that they don’t come with any pre-set credit limit (it is flexible according to your usage pattern).
American Express currently issues credit cards only to the residents of residents of Delhi/NCR, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Indore, Coimbatore, Chandigarh/Tricity, Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodra, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Ernakulam, Vijaywada, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Nagpur, Nasik, Trivandrum , Mysuru , Cuttack & Vizag
Yes, this card does support contactless payments. You need not even enter the PIN for transactions up to Rs. 5,000.