Launched in 2015, SmartBuy is HDFC’s proprietary aggregator portal where you’ll find all the deals and offers that the bank is currently offering on its various credit and debit cards under one roof. It saves you from the hassle of visiting every merchant’s website individually to find the deals they are offering with HDFC cards.
Apart from the deals and offers from third-party merchants on the HDFC Bank SmartBuy portal, what attracts most HDFC credit card customers is SmartBuy’s 10X Rewards Program, where you can earn up to 10X Reward Points on your Infinia and Diners Black credit cards and up to 5% cashback on all other credit and debit cards (with a few exceptions).
October 2021 Update:
The HDFC Smartbuy offer has been extended till October 31, 2021. The only change we saw is that now you won’t be receiving any bonus points when shopping via Amazon Business Account.
September 2021 Update:
- HDFC Bank has decreased the bonus reward points earned on Instant Vouchers from 10x to 5x, but now can you purchase Amazon and Flipkart vouchers worth up to Rs. 10,000 each.
- The Bank has also added MakeMyTrip as a new travel partner, where you can earn 10x reward points on booking Hotels.
- The SmartBuy offer is no longer applicable on OYO Rooms bookings.
- Imagine Premium Apple Store (Apple’s reseller in India) has been added as a new partner on SmartBuy.
August 2021 Update:
The HDFC Smartbuy Rewards Campaign has been extended till August 31, 2021 with no changes in any terms & conditions.
Cashback and Reward Points on shopping via SmartBuy:
You get accelerated Reward Points (3 times to 10 times the regular Reward Points) on the HDFC Infinia and Diners Black credit cards, and a 5% (2.5% + 2.5% bonanza) cashback on most other HDFC credit and debit cards on travel-related expenses (like hotel/flight/bus/train bookings), Instant Vouchers and on shopping from e-commerce sites like Amazon and Flipkart.
HDFC SmartBuy offer for HDFC Infinia/HDFC Diners Black credit cards
The Infinia and the Diners Black credit cards earn you 5 Reward Points for every Rs. 150 spent on all regular purchases. You get bonus Reward Points (due to accelerated rate of earning RPs) each time you use your Infinia or Diners Black card for hotel reservations, booking flight/bus/train tickets, shopping from Amazon and Flipkart, and for purchasing Instant Vouchers (these are gift vouchers redeemable on online stores and offline retail outlets) via the HDFC Bank SmartBuy portal. The table below shows the bonus Reward Points that you earn for different categories of expenditure:
|Spends Category||Accelerated rate of earning Reward Points|
|Flights||10X RPs (50 RPs / Rs. 150)|
|Hotels||10X RPs (50 RPs / Rs. 150)|
|Bus||10X RPs (50 RPs / Rs. 150)|
|Rail||5X RPs (25 RPs / Rs. 150)|
|Instant Vouchers||5X RPs (25 RPs / Rs. 150)|
|Amazon||5X RPs (25 RPs / Rs. 150)|
|Flipkart||3X RPs (15 RPs / Rs. 150)|
The bonus Reward Points that you can earn per calendar month under this offer are capped at 15,000 Reward Points for the Infinia credit card and 7,500 Reward Points for the Diners Black credit card.
|Credit Card||Maximum Bonus Reward Points Per Month|
|Infinia Credit Card||15,000 RPs|
|Diners Black Credit Card||7,500 RPs|
Now, in order to get the most out of your credit card, i.e. to earn the maximum number of bonus Reward Points possible, you must spend a certain minimum amount with them— these minimums differ depending upon what category of expenditure they fall under. For Infinia Card, you may refer to the table below to get an idea of how much you need to spend to get the maximum benefit:
|Spends Catagory||Minimum spends required for maximum benefit(Infinia Credit Card)||Total Reward Points earned||Bonus Reward Points earned||Regular Reward Points earned|
|Instant Vouchers||Rs. 1,12,500||18,750||15,000||3,750|
A similar calculation can also be done for the Diners Black credit card:
Minimum spends required for maximum benefit
(Diners Black Credit Card)
|Total Reward Points earned||Bonus Reward Points earned||Regular Reward Points earned|
|Instant Vouchers||Rs. 56,250||9,375||7,500||1,875|
Cashback on all other credit/debit cards:
As far as all other credit and debit cards are concerned, you get a cashback of 5% (2.5% platform + 2.5% bonanza cashback) on hotel reservations, flight/bus/rail ticket bookings, and on Instant Vouchers; while shopping on Flipkart earns you only 1% cashback (no bonanza cashback in this case). You get an additional 5% cashback (up to Rs. 750) on the Millennia credit card.
|Spends Catagory||Platform Cashback||Bonanza Cashback||Total Cashback|
The cashback for Regalia and Diners Privilege credit cards is capped at Rs. 2,000 per calendar month, while with all other credit and debit cards you can earn up to a maximum of Rs. 1,000 as cashback in a calendar month.
|Credit/Debit Card||Maximum Cashback per Month|
|Regalia and Diners Privilege Credit Cards||Rs. 2,000|
|All Other Credit/Debit Cards||Rs. 1,000|
It is worth noting that the cashback and the Reward Points earned on these credit/debit cards are calculated for a given calendar month (not on the per billing cycle basis). Another point that you must keep in mind is that you don’t get any cashback with the Infinia and the Diners Black credit cards that earn you accelerated Reward Points.
How to avail this SmartBuy Offer:
- Step 1: Go to the Flight booking section of the SmartBuy Portal.
- Step 2: Select the origin and destination airports.
- Step 3: Compare the prices of the different flights and choose your desired flight.
- Step 4: Complect the selection and checkout with your HDFC credit/debit card.
Note: You cannot book multi-city flights on the SmartBuy portal. For booking multi-city flights you need to call a concierge, and they will book the same.
- Step 1: Go to the bus booking section on the SmartBuy portal.
- Step 2: Compare the timings and the prices of all the available options.
- Step 3: Checkout using your HDFC credit/debit card.
- Step 1: Go to the rail booking section of the SmartBuy Portal.
- Step 2: Select your train, and enter your IRCTC username and password.
- Step 3: Complete your booking and use your HDFC credit/debit card for payment.
- Step 1: Go to the hotel reservation section on the SmartBuy portal.
- Step 2: Choose your destination and compare the prices of different hotels.
- Step 3: Checkout using your HDFC credit/debit card and complete the payment.
- Step 1: Select the Instant Vouchers option on the SmartBuy website/app.
- Step 2: You’ll see a list of vouchers from different brands. Choose your desired voucher.
- Step 3:Proceed to the payment page and complete the payment with your HDFC credit/debit card.
- Step 1: Go to the SmartBuy portal and select the Amazon tab.
- Step 2: Enter the mobile number registered with the bank and the last 4 digits of the card number.
- Step 3: Now click on the Amazon link that will redirect you to Amazon.
- Step 4: Add the items you wish to purchase to your cart.
- Step 5: Checkout using your HDFC credit/debit card.
You must make sure that you landed on Amazon via the SmartBuy link, otherwise, you will not get the Reward Points/Cashback.
- Step 1: Go to the Flipkart tab on the SmartBuy portal.
- Step 2: Select the item(s) you wish to purchase.
- Step 3: Checkout using your HDFC credit/debit card.
Best Practices to follow for the Amazon/Flipkart Offer:
In order to make sure that you get bonus Reward Points/cashback when shopping on Amazon/Flipkart, it is advisable to follow certain best practices.
- Using SmartBuy desktop site. Avoid using the mobile app.
- It is better to clear your browser’s cache and cookies before you click on the SmartBuy link that redirects you to Amazon/Flipkart page. It is important because you get the Reward Points or cashback only if you land on the Amazon/Flipkart page via the SmartBuy link; to verify this, your browser’s cookies are used. Clearing the cache and cookies ensures that the cookies are tracked properly.
- You should not have any extension installed on your browser. Even better, use incognito mode while you make the transaction.
- It is advisable to have the desired items already added to your Wishlist on Amazon/Flipkart. This will speed up the process.
- Don’t open multiple tabs/windows at the time of checkout.
- Make sure that you select your HDFC credit/debit card as the payment method.
How to track your Reward Points:
HDFC Bank has recently improved how customers can track their bonus Reward Points. Earlier there was no system in place to track the Reward Points and the points earned were posted randomly after 3 months; now, for every transaction that is eligible for bonus Reward Points, an SMS confirmation is sent to the cardholder’s mobile number. Furthermore, these bonus Reward Points are posted at the end of each month. The bank also just added the option in the credit card statement where it displays what extra bonus points have been earned last month—giving customers more control over their accounts!
The following SMS is sent at the end of each month with regards to the Reward Points earned in that month:
“2000 bonus Reward Points credited to your HDFC Bank Credit Card ending XXX on 31/MAY/2021 for SmartBuy May 21.”
The Reward Points earned are displayed in the card’s statement as shown in the image below:
There is still some scope for improvement in HDFC’s Reward Points tracking system. It would be even better if HDFC displays the bonus Reward Points for each individual transaction.
HDFC’s SmartBuy 10X rewards program used to be even more rewarding until a couple of years ago, it is still one of the most attractive reward programs in the Indian credit card market. Earlier, you used to get 10X Reward Points even on Amazon and Flipkart, which they have now reduced to just 5X and 3X points. Also, the maximum cap on Reward Points used to be 25,000 points on Infinia and 15,000 points on the Diners Black credit card per calendar month, and you could earn a maximum cashback of Rs. 2,000 on all other credit and debit cards. Now the maximum cashback has also been capped at Rs. 1,000, except for Regalia and Diners Privilege credit cards. Anyway, without a second thought, at least as far as the credit card market is concerned, HDFC continues to be the leader, and rightly so, as, despite all the devaluations and reward cuts by almost all the card issuers (including HDFC obviously), they continue to offer some of the most rewarding cards, particularly so, in the premium category.
1.) Do I always earn Reward Points or cashback whenever I shop from Amazon/Flipkart using my HDFC credit/debit card?
You earn Reward Points or cashback only if you visit Amazon/Flipkart page via the SmartBuy website.
2.) Do I earn bonus Reward Points on EMI transactions?
Yes, you do earn bonus Reward Points on EMI transactions under this offer. The bonus Reward Points or cashback are calculated on the EMI amount levied that given month.
3.) Is the offer applicable on all the purchases from Amazon/Flipkart?
Certain categories are excluded from the offer. You don’t earn Reward Points or cashback on the following categories on Amazon/Flipkart-
- Flight Bookings, Prepaid / Gift Cards, Bill Payments & Recharges on Amazon
- Purchase of Video Gaming Consoles & Hardware
- Amazon Prime membership
- Amazon Pay Balance
- Amazon Fresh orders
- Amazon for Business
- Jewelery / Gold coins or its equivalent
4.) What is the maximum cashback that I can get on other credit/debit cards (except Infinia and Diners Black cards)?
The maximum cashback on Regalia (Regalia First card not included) and Diners Privileges credit cards is capped at Rs. 2,000/month. For all other cards, you can earn a maximum of Rs. 1,000 as cashback in a calendar month.
5.) Is this offer applicable on all HDFC credit/debit cards?
Certain credit/debit cards including Corporate credit cards, Commercial credit cards, Dealer Credit Cards, Distributor credit cards, Value Plus credit cards, Virtual cards, Jet Privilege debit card, and Times Points debit card are excluded from the offer.